The same old question, which one for me!?!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Avisser

The same old question, which one for me!?!

Post by Avisser » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:37 pm

So I've gotten it in my head that I've got me a cottage, so now I would like a boat. Also searching around for a new hobby, and boatbuilding seems like a good fit, as I've done my share of woodworking. So looking for my first boat build.

I really read really like the Zip look, especially with the double walk-through cockpits. I am infatuated with the look of a runabout and like to be able to move people/things around the boat without crawling around. Basically I really would like to build a runabout. Budget is going to be tight anyway, so outboard makes the most sense to me. I would have already decided on the zip, except I'm reading that there is nearly no freeboard on a zip and that it's a calm-water boat.

The main use for this boat would be to put in the water to watch my kids race lasers in Rondeau Bay off of Lake Erie, and some tooling around to our cottage beach which is on Lake Erie proper. I don't mind a little spray when we're underway, but I don't want to swamp the thing sitting on the water watching a race on the wind-swept bay's swells.

Am I overthinking it and any one of these boats will be fine? Is there a better boat that's still going to give me that barrel-back/runabout feel with a taller freeboard? I look at the Geronimo and don't see an attractive cockpit, the Malahini looks great, but I understand it's basically a scaled up zip and has the same freeboard issue

Boats I've seen and would like to emulate:
Kent Andreassen's Zip
https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/zip-des ... ord-norway
Robert Pinske's Zip
https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/zip-des ... ert-pinske

Jeff Hovis and Don Witherspoon's Malahini
https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/malahin ... la-georgia
George Redden's Malahini
https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/malahin ... taunton-va

kens

Re: The same old question, which one for me!?!

Post by kens » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:19 pm

Thev interior layouts are generally not in the plans. The plans for the most part give you a running hull. You can detail the interior to suit yourself.
Many of us have changed about the interior layout.
Some designs you can stretch the length, and that is a very sound way to get a bigger boat cheaper, and seaworthiness goes up rapidly with little money.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:42 pm

The Zip you can take where you would take a standard 14ft aluminum boat. If you wouldnt be comfortable in that, you wont be comfortable in a Zip out there. When the chop gets over a foot or has any whitecap you'll wish you were in something larger for sure. It would probably be fine in your bay when the wind is less than 10-12 mph. I dont think I would have considered taking mine in Lake Erie but there are days when the great lakes are flat and fine. Overall I think for that water you would want something larger. The Geronimo comes to mind. Another member uses his Sea Knight in Lake Erie often, he built his with just a windshield, without the cabin.

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:58 pm

You don't realize how small the Zip is, until you see it parked next to any modern boat. As vupilot says, you don't want to take the Zip anywhere you wouldn't take any other 14-foot boat. I had four adults in our Zip, on our local lake, and I was getting nervous about the lack of freeboard at the transom. The Geronimo would be a much better choice for what you plan on doing. For deck and cockpit ideas, check out the Audeen and other classic inboards. You could incorporate their features into the Geronimo quite easily.
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

footer

Post by footer » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:12 am

These gentlemen are all correct. Myself, I live on an inland lake in Michigan and I just finished building a Malahini. Although I live near lake Michigan, I will not be putting my boat on it because of the low freeboard issue.
I'm on an all sports lake and have several wake boats running around making some 1'-2' waves that have come over the bow and freeboard depending on how you hit them. Fortunately it is pretty stable being a wide and flat bottom.
I agree a higher freeboard boat would be a better choice for the Great Lakes.
As far as designing the interior goes, after the flip, for the most part, pretty much anything goes. You can arrange the interior how you choose as well as the decking can be layed out how you choose too (Artistic License).
I attached a pic of my boat. My interior isn't the standard Malahini layout and my top decking is a bit modified and I built my own windshield. So pick a hull design that fits your taste and needs and then make it your own. :)
Good luck
Attachments
IMG_7081[1].JPG
Malahini with racing stripes and an open floor plan.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am

The Geronimo and Sea Knight have the same hull. The freeboard is nice. We were anchored a couple weeks ago and had a boat pulling a tube start circling us. The waves got super crazy and rocked the boat like nothing else. But no water came over the side or the transom. I held the horn button down until it blew a fuse and they went away.

You can veneer the hull just like any of the other boats and build walkthrough seating just like a Malahini if you want.

It is not a deep-vee hull but it will keep the water out.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Avisser

Post by Avisser » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Ok great feedback all, I was not aware that the deck/cockpit were not a large part of the plans. If I'm going to customize my deck significantly or design it from scratch anyway that opens my options up.

I'll have to look over the outboard options again with mainly an eye for lines and freeboard! The sea Knight and Geronimo are fair boats, but I do like a boat that looks fast just sitting on the trailer. Will have to look around again.

Looking at the Roustabout now too, but not sure that's a great first build. But if I'm getting that big I start to wonder if I will be able to afford the build

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:04 pm

The bigger boats themselves are not as much more money and time to build as you think. A Zip with all the chrome bling can cost as much as a nice but less decorated larger boat. All things being equal the boat itself is probably about 15-20% more money and time. The larger outboards on the other hand is where it hurts.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:26 pm

The only real tricky difference to the Roustabout would be the lift strakes. But, by the time you got to that point, you'd be able to figure that out. It should be a seriously capable boat. I sometimes wish I had considered it more seriously.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”