Checking in after a while. I had a setback with the chines, which I'll detail below. From what I can gather elsewhere on the forum, it's basically a rite of passage, so I must be on the right track, right?
I did have some success with the larger bungs for the #14 screws attaching the keel to the frames. They still required a bit of Famowood on the edges. I basically added a dab of Famowood at the bottom of the hole, rolled the bung in it as well to coat the sides, and then hammered in (though I'll have to do a better job of aligning the grain next time). Cutting off and sanding went very smoothly. The remainder of the project doesn't use such large screws (#10's and #8's mostly), so my bung cutter should be able to accommodate and fully fill the holes going forward.
When I last posted, I had just acquired some nice 6/4 Sapele that was milled to 2" widths by 10' lengths, for the most part. Scarfing of these into 20' lengths actually went well (better than the keel, anyway). But re-reading the above post, about the squirrelly lengths, I should have paid more attention to that.
I was able to place the chine logs into the notches I had made in the frames several months ago. Some had to be slightly enlarged (using a rasp file for the most part). Using some come-alongs and almost my entire collection of clamps, I had most of the pieces into position, keeping them looser towards the bow. The chine on the Mist Miss (and probably most designs) has to curve down (up), while curving inward towards the stem, while twisting as well.
I used the boiling water and hot towel approach, which really seemed to be working. I wasn't going to attach them fully, but I wanted to get them curved in and holding that shape. The next day I would start attaching, and finish the bending, thinking that the chines would "hold" in their new semi-bent position. I was surprised how quickly the boiling water cooled off, but the sapele seemed to be keeping the heat. Seemed simple.
The next morning I went out to check on the chines and prep to do the final alignment. I wanted to do both sides at the same time, alternating to keep everything as square as possible elsewhere on the rig. That's when I discovered this:
This is way back just in front of the scarf joint (which you can see slightly aft of the crack). I never heard the tell-tale "CRACK" at any point. It seems the sapele itself gave up overnight. The orange bar clamp is there just to hold the scarf together (and the white lines are some leftover wax paper scraps), but that joint itself didn't fail, but the wood did leading up to the scarf.
I'm thrilled beyond belief - can't you tell?
Looking closer, it seems that the weird squirrelly and non-straight grain in that area of the plank was to blame. The other side that survived (starboard) had pretty much straight grain from both pieces at the scarf joint, with the odd grained area well aft (and likely to be trimmed off beyond the transom). But it was me not paying attention to the grain when I assembled the scarf a week earlier that caused the issue.
So I then had to go back to my supplier and buy 2 additional 10'-plus lengths of 5/4 S4S, but disappointingly, they didn't have those lengths any longer (longest was 7' in 6/4). Sadly, I ended up getting 8/4 milled down (what a shame). But this weekend I started back up scarfing the new pieces, and keeping the "good" end of the original pair in reserve.
The worst part is while disassembling the broken chine, it dropped and hit me in the leg, slicing my shin open with ragged edge sapele. Of course I was wearing shorts because it's been record heat here all summer, and it was 112 degrees at the time.
The heat, the setback, and the injury were enough for me to stop for a few weeks. We had some family dinners, and Labor Day weekend I just relaxed. The gash on my leg is finally healed (with an ugly scar, one of several from the sharp edges of the frames). Come "winter" here in Phoenix, I'll be able to wear pants again.
Anyway, just thought I'd give everyone an update since it had been a few weeks and I had left off on a high note. The temperatures are supposed to top out in the low 100's this week, so I'm hoping to get the chines attached in the next week (fingers crossed).