Mist Miss - Desert Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

JimmY

Re: Mist Miss - Desert Build

Post by JimmY »

Welcome to boat building. Sorry to hear your troubles, but we've all been there.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the plans and books should be updated to tell you to laminate sheers and chines with at least 2 layers. That is a pretty thick Chine, kudos for bending one in place with no issues. Make sure the one is not pulling the frame out of alignmen
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Well, first of all, Happy New Year! Yes, I'm alive. But no I haven't made any progress in a few months. Some updates:

I unfortunately lost my garage workspace in early November, as we added a new vehicle that my wife insisted that we not keep outside. So I had only a day or two to consolidate the boat, work tables, lumber and plywood, and big tools (bandsaw, table saw) into a single vehicle stall. While the material is all there, it doesn't leave any actual workspace. Plus the next steps require plenty of space, even if temporarily.

My current tasks are now building a storage shed/workshop space outside, so I can move the major items out there, keeping the hull in the garage, and (hopefully) taking a car out and rolling the jig setup into the double stall.

If I have the shed completed in a few weeks, I'll then be able to get back to boatbuilding shortly, but that's a big IF. I left off on steam-bending the thick chine rails, and they've been tethered and clamped in place for two months, so I'm banking on those holding their shape. Obviously the daydream of getting the flip done by New Year's is in the rear view mirror.

In the meantime, I need to catch up on the activity on the board. I'm eager to see the progress everyone else has made at least, and maybe that will help get me ramped back up.

- Andrew
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Andrew,

Hopefully you can get things figured out soon. I am doing my Monaco build only using the third stall of our garage so it can be done. It took planning but it is working fine (e.g. portable table saw, folding tables, etc.). I am not sure how big your garage is but you might be surprised and you might be able to make it work.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Andrew, I feel your pain. I moved in 2020 and my build doesn't fit in the new garage. I installed a temporary car port/tent to keep the boat in. Working out okay, but very cold in winter. Also, Lisa insists on keeping her car in the garage. Whenever I'm working on parts for the boat that might produce dust (every time), I have to move her car out so it doesn't get covered in sawdust. She complains whenever it is really cold or rainy.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

djwalsh1960

Post by djwalsh1960 »

I have been watching your build since before I chose to build a Tahoe. Your message reminded me of a question I was asked when building a wood strip canoe. "Why did you build an 18' long canoe?" my neighbor asked. "Well, my garage was only 18' 6" deep....Obviously!" was my reply. We moved and have been living in our new home (with a 24' deep garage) now for almost 2 years and my new neighbor asked me the same question. "Why are you building a 23' long boat in that garage?" You already know my answer.

Best of luck on the completion of the new workspace and I look forward to more photos and insights.

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Thanks, everyone.

One extra benefit at least on being "stalled" on the project is that my expenses the past few months are pretty minimal, other than "Santa" gifting me a new router for Christmas.

Lee - the Mist Miss is 18' 2", and I have 8" to spare with the garage door closed. I'm working on relocating (or simply removing) some storage cabinets to give myself another 18" in depth. The beam is an issue - 7' 1" of beam, and the stall is right around 8 to 8-1/2 feet wide. And I'm not that skinny. I believe I'll be able to work on the boat intermittently, but the workshop aspect (the bench and other tools) needs to be elsewhere now.

Bryan - bummer on that. I considered building a covered area in the backyard, but since we're on a pie-shaped lot in a cul-de-sac (wide backyard, pinched front), there would be no way to get it out without a crane, which would have to go over our shade trees, which are key in Arizona.

David - seems like you're really making good progress so far. I originally was looking at a Key Largo (Barrelback utility) with a V-8, which would require 20'. My wife loves the house, and a clean car. After comparing several plans, the 18' 2" Mist Miss seemed to check all the boxes, even if it was more of a 50's style than a 1940's style.

Headed into another weekend (my doesn't time fly?) . . . perhaps progress will be made.

- Andrew
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

Return to “Power Boats”