Hunky Dory Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Goodell

Hunky Dory Build

Post by Goodell »

Hi All,

I started this build a month ago (not including tent building) and thought I would share the process - especially for those eyeing the design. However please note that this build is modifying the plans to be more inline with the regional surf-launch and land power dories in my home state. While the Hunky design is directly taken from those boats...the Hunky pedigree is not quite on point on all details. So there are some modification that are pretty much mandatory.

Anyway, the frames are made out of reclaimed D-fir....very tight grained, clear, dry stuff, but was a pain to mill to specs but superior. I also scored 4 20ft long sheets of marine fir A/A 3/8 plywood from the 60's that was in an old timer's garage. Epic find.

Some key changes are:

1. the Hunky comes with options for well-mounted engine and a transom mount...but in both options - the transom is very low; flush with the sides. So raising the transom height and splashwell seemed sensible to bring it more inline with local boats.Following seas are no joke when you are running into the beach.

2. The sides and bow were raised slightly - just to make it a bit deeper and help contain fishermen in rough conditions. but because this changed the sheerline forward - I had to lengthen the bowstem. A bit tricky but I think I pulled it off.

3. The outside bottom strakes are removed to make beaching possible, but the bottom will have two layers of 3/8 ply vs. one layer of 1/2" listed in the plans. not to mention some heavier glass on the sole

4. the inside will be oiled not epoxied or painted.

5. oh also i laminated plywood gussets to both sides of the bottom piece of most frames - to shore up the strength of the centerline where pounding forces are exerting the most pressure on the boat. in addition to the joint gussets in the plans. frame breakage on #7 or 8 seems to happen to some boats.

6 Bowstem is reinforced as is the forefoot. In my opinion the bowstem made of two layers of 3/4 ply running longitudinally is not a great design to mount a solid bow eye and gives a very narrow purchase area for planking.

7 the upper edge of the chine has a 30 bevel vs the 90 in the plans this means that water that runs down the inside plywood surface will bleed off the chine onto the bottom vs catching on the 90 edge of the chine and becoming another moisture worry.

Here are a few pics - ill try to keep them coming.
Attachments
IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2512.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg
Last edited by Goodell on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:06 am, edited 6 times in total.

Goodell

Re: Hunky Dory Build

Post by Goodell »

tent done onto jig and setting up the shop and the long process of milling and surfacing the reclaimed fir
Attachments
IMG_2530.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg
IMG_2536.jpg

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

setting up frames etc. chines, sheerclamp and starting to play with stringer placement.
Attachments
IMG_2565.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

closup details of gussets, stem reinforcement etc. as you can note - the bottom frame member gusset leaves about a 1/4" reveal on top and bottom. This is to keep it away from rubbing on floor boards or on the stringers etc. A lot of boats here get rot where this wear happens. Also you can see the 30 degree bevel on the upper part of the chine vs. the 90 degree in the plans. THe 90 creates a water catch that is no bueno.

I filled in the joint gusset to make it more like a knee and mostly to keep water and moisture out of what would be a awkward slot. it left the gap between the two gussets to allow clean run-off of water without any wierd tight crack sort of thing that could hold moisture. I suppose next time I could gusset it all with one clean piece but using the separate joint gussets makes assembling frames easier I think. (yes around here Dories break frames just forward of amidships due to compression forces - so bottom gussets are wise)
Attachments
IMG_2679.jpg
IMG_2684.jpg
IMG_2680 (1).jpg
Last edited by Goodell on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

scarfing a 1/12 joint. Setting up braces to make handling a nearly 24' side panel possible by myself. . not pictured is a LOT of thickened epoxy on all joints.
Attachments
IMG_2695 (1).jpg
IMG_2723.jpg
IMG_2726 (1).jpg

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

lets sheath this...I will be back from vacation on the 5th...ready to close it up the next day!
Attachments
IMG_2749 (1).jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

That is quite a building space you have there. Enjoy your build.

Lee

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

denbrlr wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:51 pm
That is quite a building space you have there. Enjoy your build.

Lee
Thanks Lee! The building space issue delayed this build Waaay to long. I live in a rainy coldish environment and couldnt seem to line up access to the proper big, heated workshop I wanted. After putting the wedding tent together and quick floor - i was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Temps are a problem, so I cured frames inside, and then covered the hull with plastic and heated with electric heaters before and after bonding anything. I would encourage any reader with space issues to just get ugly and be that guy with the eyesore of a giant tent structure. It is heaven.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice work and great progress. I think we would all love to have that space. I suppose if we lived in a different time (before HOA's) it might be a normal thing. :D :D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

mrintense wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:18 pm
Nice work and great progress. I think we would all love to have that space. I suppose if we lived in a different time (before HOA's) it might be a normal thing. :D :D :D
you buy a wedding tent and tell the HOA you are having a wedding at your place....then say the wedding got delayed, then back on again - and so forth :P

TomB

Post by TomB »

Sounds like you're getting wed to a boat project. :lol:
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

TomB wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:32 pm
Sounds like you're getting wed to a boat project. :lol:
genius

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

closed up the hull - one more layer of 3/8" on the bottom and on to fiberglass...
Attachments
IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2877.jpg
IMG_2874.jpg

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

happy with the clean fair lines
Attachments
IMG_2883.jpg
IMG_2879.jpg

Baron

Post by Baron »

That is a fine looking build Goodell.
I'm just beginning to fidget looking for a build to suit my needs. Congrats on finding the 24' panels as that won't happen here in "Dryland". Wonderful.

-Are you going to use a transom mounted outboard?
-Of the Ply that you additionally bought what type was it.
-Had you thought to lengthen or shorten the build?

Big Question:
-Are all of the Pacific dory's sheathed in Glass or are some of them painted only?

Best!
Baron in PA

Return to “Power Boats”