Hunky Dory Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

JimmY

Re: Hunky Dory Build

Post by JimmY »

Sweet. Looking forward to your launch.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Well finally closed the circle on this project! And some blood on the deck....
Attachments
IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg
image000000.jpg

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Builders beware - the activity on this forum is apparently relegated to retro woody lake boats only. Its a dang shame to see the vast majority of glen-l workboats and fishing boats fall away into obscurity...to be replaced by inferior designs that are just marketed more as "Easy to build" oh well....

kens

Post by kens »

Nice build there, and a nice catch.
Good job well done
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Sorry you feel that way, when I clicked on this several weeks ago the pictures would not show. I know I only click on the "active topics" section so I only see whats the latest topics so I know I dont see everything that gets posted either.

Now that I can actually see the pictures the boat and catch look great!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Goodell

I built a 24' Bartender. Don't tell me that's just a lake boat. :? :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens »

The forum is not "relegated to retro woody lake boats only", it is just there is way more builds of that style completed and active on the forum.
My own build is NOT a retro lake boat, and there are several of the workboats at the gatherings.
I wish you could come to a gathering.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Not knocking the few folks here....im posting for the would-be hunky builder....its just a fact...there is a a handful of builders in the work-boat/marine boat designs here which makes certain designs appear less attractive to a would-be builder. In my opinion there are several Glen-L skiffs that are being way under-utilized in the DIY community relative to say Spira semi-dories and such. THe framing in those boats are not really easier (athough they are marketed strongly as such)- but I would argue inferior and much less robust....so words to the wise - dont let the lack of builds of such glen-L skiffs steer you away....just dont expect a lot of experienced builders of these plans to answer your questions

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:25 am
Goodell

I built a 24' Bartender. Don't tell me that's just a lake boat. :? :wink:

Bill
I dont believe Glen-L offers Bartender plans ...so....there;)....my point is that it is unfortunate there is such little activity in an area where there is a ton of DIY interest, available plans, but relatively few builds off of Glen-L versions. I would be interested to see their purchase stats on center console type boats, semi-dories, and similar marine skiffs. I ran into a guy who built a Spira skiff and was almost sick to his stomach when he looked at the framing on the Hunky compared to his boat....

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

You've done a fine job and no doubt that is a very stout boat that will handle the rough stuff. One thing I have found is that there are a lot more builders than just the folks that post here on the forum. I myself will probably only ever build a Glen-l (or Hankinson) boat.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”