BRP To Stop Making Evinrude ETEC

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

BRP To Stop Making Evinrude ETEC

Post by mrintense »

I couldn't believe this when I saw it today. Apparently the corporations strike again. BRP is going to discontinue production of the ETEC (including the newer G2 model) and concentrate on boats. They are going to contract with Mercury to provide the outboards.

This is bad news for me as I had planned on buying an ETEC for my Vera Cruise. Amazingly enough, I was at the Evinrude dealer today talking about this and stopped short of by the throttle control today because it was more expensive than I originally thought so I was prepared to wait a while longer. Now I think I am going to have to rethink this whole thing. Not a happy camper this evening. :x :x :x

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... ogies.html
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Hercdrvr

Re: BRP To Stop Making Evinrude ETEC

Post by Hercdrvr »

Good engine but they never seemed to find a solid market. I can’t remember Carl, are going with a 115 or a 150 hp?
Matt B

csaggio

Post by csaggio »

Unfortunately, the BRP manufacturing plant here in Wisconsin will be laying off 363 employees.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:cry: A maintenance mechanic in Belize told me ETEC would be his first choice in engines :!: Sad to loose a really good option for an engine.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Yeah this is disappointing. However, Carl, you might be able to get a REALLY good deal on one. I would not hesitate to buy one. They say they will be honoring warranties. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody buys the brand or at least the technology. I also looked into Suzuki when I was buying. They have a surprisingly light weight 90. You're going with a 115 right?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Yes a 115 HP is what I am planning on. I was pretty disappointed when I found out about this, but given the state of affairs with the economy and not really trusting corporations to do anything except what is good for themselves, I don't think I will be getting an ETEC. I also read where they said they would honor warranties, but there 's also the resale factor down the road and trying to get parts that are no longer produced.

I spent some time looking around. Mercury's 115 Four Stroke seems quite nice and is the lightest in it's class at 359 pounds dry. Of course there is the maintenance involved with four strokes that would not be present on the ETEC (Valve train), but from what I've read, they are quiet and run very smoothly. Since I am still a year away from purchasing, I will of course monitor the situation and continue to do research.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I have the Yamaha 115. Nice engine. I would also look at the Suzuki. It is a good engine also.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 pm
I have the Yamaha 115. Nice engine. I would also look at the Suzuki. It is a good engine also.

Bill
Agree with Bill here. My BIL is a commercial crab fisherman. He swears by the Yamaha. He said all the CF are running them. I have the Suzuki. It’s been great so far. It’s quite for sure.

Hope ya locate what you’re happy with bud.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I'll maintain what I've said before. The outboard market is so competitive I don't think you can go wrong with any one particular brand. Nobody can afford to make a stinker engine these days. Find one that meets the specs that you need and you can afford and you'll be good.

It's not that hard to change the oil in a four stroke. And you only need to do it once a season. Just do it at the end of the season and your good to go next year. And if your only storing the boat 2-3 months a year I don't really see the need to fog the cylinders.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I'll definitely be looking at Yamaha and Suzuki motors as well. I've had both brands as motorcycles and I know they make quality motors.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Im getting ETEC 90 right now and stoked to be getting it as many are selling out. The 90hp ETEC produces a lot of power and is more equivalent to a 115 four stroke in real world performance and certainly better power to weight ratio. The run smoother, they are more powerful and they are less expensive to maintain. Parts are going to be around for a long time and they will be a hot commodity for sure. Either way there are no losers anymore but most guys I know think the Suzuki is the best 4 stroke on the mid-range market.

MerlinElMago

Post by MerlinElMago »

I run two Evinrude E-Tec G2 150 H.O. and all I can say is that these engines are just awesome.

Easy maintenance, low fuel burn and exceptional performance. When I heard about them stopping the production I thought it was a joke... but unfortunately I found out that this was dead serious.

I wish they'd reconsider this decision... but I guess that's impossible.
Best regards

Starting my Squirt Project

Return to “Power Boats”