WithDrew's Ski King

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

WithDrew

WithDrew's Ski King

Post by WithDrew »

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. I'm starting a new thread so I can post updates and questions concerning my Ski King build. I got the plans a few weeks ago now and have spent almost every waking minute staring at them... my daughter keeps asking me what more I can learn from staring at pictures. 8)
I wanted to start off with a simple question. I was looking at using Mahogany for the frames and White Oak for the engine stringers but the consensus on here seems to be to stick with Mahogany throughout - is that the way to go? - The price difference isn't enough to swing me one way or the other (if it is should I really be building a boat??).
Also the plans say the hull can be glassed or not. What is the advantage one way or the other. Is using just epoxy just as strong... or strong enough?
....and one last question. The plans state that the transom can be build straight - as drawn, or curved with an 8' radius. If you built out the curve, how would you frame in the transom. I have some ideas that I'm sure I could make work but I'd like to hear from anyone who has done something similar.
I will be putting a Ford Flathead V8-60 in the boat. I've been working on it for a while and it will probably pull 80hp when I'm done with it. Its not a huge engine but it has that great Flathead sound and will fit well in the Ski King.

Thanks for indulging me

WithDrew
Last edited by WithDrew on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roberta

Re: WithDrew's Ski King

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard! The Ski King should be a nice boat. You mentioned the plans say either 3/8 " or two 1/4" planks laminated. The two 1/4" planks would equate to 1/2" and be 1/8" thicker than the 3/8" planking. For easier bending, you could go 1/4" and laminate 1/8" over that and be very strong. Staggering joints would be required to maintain hull integrity.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

WithDrew

Post by WithDrew »

....and that is why I don't teach math - :lol: So that question is answered -

kens

Post by kens »

That sounds cool,
and old-school design like that with a flathead, really cool setup.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Hi WithDrew,

Have you read the Glen-L Boat Building with plywood (BBWP) book yet? If not I recommend it.

The Ski King is a lot like my 16' Ski boat if you want to see a lot of pics on the deck planking and motor setup in my signature. The hull is glass though.

Are you going to plank it or paint the plywood? I would glass it for abrasion resistance and the piece of mind. I hear its less likely to get a big hole if something hits you. Glen talks about that in the book too, See page 225 of BBWP . Its not that hard actually, see my Sailboat thread for some pics for a painted boat.

Not sure about the curved transom but I would do it straight. Edit - Glen has a section on Curved transoms on page 115 of the third edition of BBWP. He has a picture and says how to do it with the note " they are considerably more difficult to build"
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

WithDrew

Post by WithDrew »

kens wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:47 pm
That sounds cool,
and old-school design like that with a flathead, really cool setup.
Kens - thanks for the response - That was exactly my thought. The original plans actually suggest a standard Flathead, but its kinda big for the Ski King. I did some searching and discovered the V8-60. Henry only made it here in the states for 4 years. It's a Flathead V8 that only has 136ci of displacement and pumps out 60 horses. Its almost cute... the cylinders are only 2.6 inches. It will fit great in the Ski King, it has plenty of HP to push it and doesn't take up much space, but still puts out that classic Flathead sound. A boat as beautiful and timeless as the Ski King deserves to be seen AND heard!!

WithDrew

Post by WithDrew »

Milhouse wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:31 pm
Hi WithDrew,

Have you read the Glen-L Boat Building with plywood (BBWP) book yet? If not I recommend it.

The Ski King is a lot like my 16' Ski boat if you want to see a lot of pics on the deck planking and motor setup in my signature. The hull is glass though.

Are you going to plank it or paint the plywood? I would glass it for abrasion resistance and the piece of mind. I hear its less likely to get a big hole if something hits you. Glen talks about that in the book too, See page 225 of BBWP . Its not that hard actually, see my Sailboat thread for some pics for a painted boat.

Not sure about the curved transom but I would do it straight. Edit - Glen has a section on Curved transoms on page 115 of the third edition of BBWP. He has a picture and says how to do it with the note " they are considerably more difficult to build"
Milhouse, - I spent a lot of time last night going through your ski boat restoration - great stuff, I'm sure I'll spend a lot more time there in the future. I have not yet read the BBWP. I've read the inboard motor installation book, and the boat builders notebook - the BBWP is next. I will be planking the deck of the boat. As far as the hull, I'm not decided yet. I might just paint from the water line down or I might paint it all. I've glassed a canoe before, so I know the process. I just want this boat to last forever, I'm looking at spending at least 2 years to build a boat I've been dreaming about for 10 years and I want it to last without having to touch it up all the time. I just want to do it right the first time.

I'm not sure about the transom curve either - I'll look at what Glen says when I get the book and see what the pictures look like. I'm not even sure its something I would like - the smooth simple lines of the Ski King is part of what drew me to it. Thanks again for your response

WithDrew

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey WithDrew,

I like the curved transom. Here's an example from the gallery. https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/ski-kin ... -Regis,-UK

It is an extra step or two but is easy to do. The process would be similar to the process the barrelbacks use. Start with the plywood transom from the template drawing and add horizontal transom logs with the curve on the aft side and bend 1/4 or 3/8 plywood over the logs to make the shape. There are a lot of photos in the gallery for the barrelback.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

kens

Post by kens »

Dwain Colton had a ski king with a little 283 chevy in it, nice boat.
He once mentioned a stretched SkiKing with a inline-6 in it, that thought has been hanging around with me ever since
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Sounds like a great boat/engine combo. It's definitely worth fiberglassing the exterior of the hull. It is not nearly as scary as it sounds if you have never fiberglassed before, dont sweat it. It has a lot of advantages and I cant think of any worthy disadvantages. I dont think many people omit the fiberglass these days, especially on a boat of that size/investment.

WithDrew

Post by WithDrew »

Milhouse - I was able to find a copy or the BBWP book - should be here soon. Can't wait to dig into it.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Awesome, I think it will help you out a lot.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Power Boats”