Bob's Geronimo Anchor question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Bob's Geronimo Anchor question

Post by bobinpowayca »

Howdy, been a long time since I posted, I finished my Geronimo in April 2018, had it out about forty times; not much lately need shoulder surgery. We spent one great week at a lake in northern ca at a cabin with a pier, all the rest of the trips are 2hr outings on San Diego bay which is mostly sandy bottom. By the way the 90hp ETEC has been great and plenty of power for the boat, went out once with four big adults and pulling two kids on a tube no problem.
I hate to admit it but I have yet to get an anchor. I have an oar and the number to call Vessel Assist but no anchor. All of our boat rides are for cruising around, no need to anchor anywhere but the other day we went dead in the water in the middle of the harbor - turned out it was just a loose wire in the ignition switch but it gave me a good scare being in the shipping lane.
So what kind of anchor do some of you folks recommend - I think if I do intentionally anchor it would be in less than 20 feet of water and sandy or muddy bottom. Some issues - I don't have access to the front of my boat because I don't fit thru the hatch and I can't reach around my windshield far enough to tie off on the bow cleat - I can't crawl up their either.
I'm thinking I could tie the anchor off on the cleat just forward of the windshield. Also the stern cleats if that makes sense.
And what do you use for an anchor line? It's only a 16 foot boat do I really need any chain? And the anchor will be for emergencies really, I was thinking of just a box with the anchor line in it, anchor on top ready to throw out if I need it. Any advice? Pictures show where my cleat are. Thanks, Bob
Bob

bobinpowayca

Re: Bob's Geronimo Anchor question

Post by bobinpowayca »

whoops forgot pictures
Attachments
S0010078.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
Bob

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Bob,

Something like this is probably what you need...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seachoice-Ho ... r/32739437

The chain is to help hold the line down so the boat pulls the anchor deeper into the bottom. Line is typically nylon or polypropylene.

Tie it off wherever you can.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The type of anchor that Jim linked to works well and is what we use. It works well on muddy or sandy bottoms. I keep mine in a milk crate. We anchor a lot to swim.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I prefer the mushroom style anchor, it does the job and takes up the least amount of space. As far as rope length, 20 ft of rope looks about the same as 50 ft of rope when it’s wound up on the anchor. An Anchor without enough line isn’t much good.
I have a clip hook on my line and I attach it to the cleat in front of the helm, easy.
My anchor requirements are minimal, just something to keep the boat from drifting while we eat lunch, swim etc...heck, a monkey wrench on kite string would work for us.
Matt B

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca »

Thanks a lot, guys. I ended up with a 6lb danforth anchor (cheap), 8 ft of galvanized 1/4" chain and 90 ft of 3/8 braided line. Basically this is just for an emergency in case I lose power. Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”