Does a Roustabout fill my needs?

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Williamdor

Does a Roustabout fill my needs?

Post by Williamdor »

I used to own a 17' walk-through catamaran inboard/outboard which was great for stability over a v hull-- lots of space for passengers, vests and skis. Drawbacks were the weight of the 175 hp ford 302 engine (although a tired motor was kinda helped by money thrown at the motor-- edelbrock cam, intake manifold, carburetor) and the drag resulting from the hull design. At 200lbs it had a hard time getting me up on one ski. I'm thinking that the Roustabout v-hull, floor space and fitting it with an outboard > 100hp would be a safe bet for skiing and space desired. The concerns I have are:
1) I have decent wood working skills and am not concerned about devoting a lot of time and the space needed to build this boat. Do I have enough skills? My forte is patience for amateur finish work and a pretty high degree of accuracy when I am extra careful.
2) I don't want lacquered wood grain in the boat. I want it to be less maintenance for me and next owner. I've seen examples of Glen-L boats that appeared to be only painted and lacquered with no mahogany-like maintenance issues. Is this true and realistic?
3) It appears that plywood is not used as an exterior surface, so I would guess that planking would be painted and lacquered and/or fiber-glassed for best buoyancy?
4) Should I expect that the outboard motor will be the most expensive item for the boat (excluding seats and controls)?

Feedback would be very much appreciated as I look towards this project.

Regards,
Bill

parsj1957

Re: Does a Roustabout fill my needs?

Post by parsj1957 »

In my opinion -- all good:

1) patience and accuracy are key elements to completing the wood working
2) look at the pictures on the Glen-L site under the Roustabout -- most if not all are painted -- and look awesome
3) Yes -- fiberglass sheathed for protection of plywood then painted for UV protection for fiberglass is typical
4) I'm building a 20' Sweet Caroline -- simpler structure than the roustabout but a new outboard does swap any other costs I've incurred.

Good luck and enjoy the Journey!
Welcome to the forum -- there are a lot of other (more experienced) folks who I'm sure will add thoughts.

J.
J.

kens

Post by kens »

there are designs here both wood planked and plywood skinned.
the wood plank ones are for the most part cold-molded, then planked over the cold mold base.
even though the hulls are wood, we encapsulate with a light layer of glass cloth and finish over that, sometimes clear, sometimes paint.
the glass cloth gives abrasion resistance and the finish gives UV protection.
you still got that 302 Ford sterndrive?
you could convert that to a straight inboard and have something like a mastercraft/SkiNautique.
yes we do use plywood exterior. in all cases we use a epoxy encapsulation, and no lacquer.
I never heard of any of us use lacquer. Varnish yes, no lacquer.
It is possible you can do a natural wood bright finish, and if you get tired of it, just paint it.
If you got the 302 ford, try a Mist Miss. that is a ski boat by design
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Williamdor

Post by Williamdor »

J and Kens,

Thank you so much for the clarification and advice. I will follow the advance and consider it in making my boat and construction decisions.

Regarding the 302 stern drive, that is a good idea except I lost it in a divorce. That really would have been perfect. Pull the motor, outdrive, controls, and interior-- scrap the hull and re-use the remains in a new boat. My preference now is for an outboard, but knowing what a similar engine weighed, I'll also verify that I am correct about the relative weight for similarly powered options.

Regards,
Williamdor

kens

Post by kens »

keep in mind that outdrives are heavier than the 'Dock professionals' say about them
I know, I already did a conversion.
they are freeking heavy.
add it all up, the gimbal, all the u-joints, the steering, the power trim, trim pumps, the leg, the lower unit, power steering pump? add that too.
all the giblets and brackets, oil tanks for the stuff,
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The roustabout sounds like it would be great for what you are talking about. If I had to start all over I would consider it.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Williamdor

Post by Williamdor »

Kens & Matt,

Kens: Yeah, I neglected to consider the outdrive and the "giblets", etc. Excellent points and I'm glad you got me thinking about the extras. Yeah, the block, et al, weight a lot, but the other parts in the system also contribute a lot.

Matt: Thanks for your (more than) 2 cents. Just the kind of opinion I was hoping to see.

Regards and thanks!
Bill

kens

Post by kens »

and, don't forget the thickness of the leg and lower unit.
the leg has its own casting with an EXHAUST DUCT built in !!
then the lower unit with its gears + exhaust duct.
an inboard such as a mastercraft per-se, has a 1" shaft, a strut about 3/8" thick, and that runs in the shadow of the shaft.
a lower unit is about 5" diameter, plus the leg about 3" thick, and no shadow to run in, it has to plow itself along

Williamdor

Post by Williamdor »

Kens,

Also good to know. I wanted justification for weight different in the h.p/lb department between these two types. Although I'm more familiar with car engines (and marine too), I'm ready to delve more deeply into outboards. The older 2-stroke high power ones blew me away and I see that they too are being produced again with newer designs, so not so obsolete as I feared.

Regards.
Williamdor

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Title is, “ Does a Roustabout fit my needs”
You never told us what your needs are, what do you want your boat to excell at?
Matt B

Williamdor

Post by Williamdor »

Good point, I was not too clear here on what I want/need. I want primarily a ski boat that is stable on lake/river water when it gets bumpy. I don't want something capable of skiing through heavy chop cuz I haven't the desire, but you gotta get back to shore.... Hauling 4 people (including driver) with skis, vests, towels, cooler, etc. is necessary. My first boat had a wide beam, but suffered terribly being a catamaran with a 302 V8 sterndrive. The boat weight with engine and hull design made for a poor ski boat (insufficient acceleration from an idle to pull a 200 lb. skier out of the water on one ski), but spacious with its walk-through bow. I like 17' with v-hull and not waikiki-sleek. In short, a good ski boat that is a bit more versatile if not practical. I'm wanting to go outboard.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

We did just that in my Geronimo at the Gathering this year. It is not a deep v and that means it barely makes a wake on plane at skiing speeds. It will get you home in the chop no problem but the Roustabout will be more comfortable in the chop. You could run a 115 on a Roustabout and it would be really quick.

Come to the Gathering next year and I'll pull you with my Geronimo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvt6aZF6TmY
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”