Slither build in GA

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

kens

Re: Slither build in GA

Post by kens »

I remember a similar issue with concave front end, but right now cannot remember hold I solved it.
It was probably a shim somewhere
one of those AHA!! moments
get some chair & cooler time & think about it
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

sshamilt@gmail.com

Post by sshamilt@gmail.com »

Been fairing the area hoping the aha shows up. Nothing yet.
On another topic, I have been looking at trailers and motors. I am told the lead time on a new motor is 4 to 5 months. The dealer tells me that Yamaha is not even giving delivery dates right now. I plan to put my order in soon for a115 hp. The question to the gurus is 20 or 25 inch shaft? The weight and the cost are nearly the same. The transom is 34 inches so I have to cut regardless. What are the thoughts out there on the 20 vs the 25?

Also in reading on the motor wells from various posts there is always a knee mentioned. There is no knee in the plans for the slither. Should I add one during the well build? Or now before the skins go on? Or not at all since the plans don't call for one?
Steve

Long time woodworker, first time boat builder

kens

Post by kens »

I have been hearing good things about Suzuki. The local SeaTow operator only uses Suzuki.
The outboard builders correct me, but isn't the sides of the splashwell (fastened to battens) take the place of the conventional knee?
the conventional knee is on a plain transom, not a splash well, correct?
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Suzuki is very popular on the Gulf coast right now. Much less expensive than Yamaha.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Ken, the Geronimo has a knee and splash well detailed in the plans. Seems curious that the slither doesn't. If it doesn't have a knee then how does the transom attach to the keel?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

sshamilt@gmail.com

Keel to transom is 2 three inch #14s. All in all the attachment to the transome is from the longitudinals and the skin
Steve

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I see that the slither has options for both inboard and outboard. You might want to check the instructions to see if it recommends a knee for the outboard option. Sometimes that stuff is buried in there.
Matt

sshamilt@gmail.com

I have reviewed the documentation, plans, and full size layouts again and I do not see a knee mentioned or shown.
So I must suppose that the well will provide the structure support needed.
Steve

sshamilt@gmail.com

I have been reviewing some of the other posts. It appears that the transom is sometimes cut for the motor well before the flip. I have not cut my motor well cut out in a transom yet. Should I be considering the cut out before I flip. If I cut after I flip do I fiberglass the transom after the flip or is it fiberglassed before the flip and the cut out?
Steve

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

My motorwell sides go down and fasten to battens.My bo-jest doesn't have knee either but by doing the way I did-makes for nice battery box drawer :D Also put rear seating with storage under each side of motorwell.Don't make the motor well too narrow unless using hydrolic steering .otherwise you'll have to put in tube so steering bar goes inside. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Fiberglass the whole transom now and cut it out after the flip and you've decided exactly where the motorwell sides are going to land.
Matt

sshamilt@gmail.com

Thanks Matt, Chug
The whole cut then glass or glass then cut I could see it either way. Then seeing some posts with the transom cut before the flip I began to think I was supposed to cut now.

I have a call in to check the price of a Suzuki 115 to compare to the Yamaha I was looking at. They should call on Monday. Once I select the motor I can get the specs for the well.

I am down to the last of the fairing I hope. I glued a laminate to the inside of the sheer in the forward section and will remove the clamps and continue on that today. While the glue set up I glued and screwed the battens as well as screwed the keel. The keel was glue only until I got it faired so that my screws would be out of the way for fairing. I need to order the wood putty so I can fill the countersinks.

For the fairing I ended up using the power plane with a 4 foot guide to get the keel, chine and sheer to rough shape. Then I switched to hand planes for the chine. I cut a 40 inch long board for the sanding efforts so that I down the keel to chine and chine to sheer. That has worked well. I will cut a shorter long board to work the bow area. The 40 grit does fast work but it is still very tiring work.

I get in about an hour after work each day so with luck I may be skinning the hull before the end of the month.
Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Steve

My boats are down in Gulf Shores. I have a Yamaha 115 in the Bartender. The boat is 24' with 8'-4" beam, cuddy-cabin, 50 gal. gas, 30gal. water, and 2 batteries. It will do 34 mph with 2 men aboard. The Slither should easily break 40 mph with the 115.

Most new boats down here are running Suzuki. Still see lots of Yamaha engines. But, they just haven't worn out. A dealer down here told me that he was dropping Yamaha. He said he was selling Suzuki 3:1 over Yamaha.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sshamilt@gmail.com

Bill
3:1 is nothing to joke about. The Yamaha 115 was priced at $10,300. We will see how the Suzuki comes in
Steve

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That sounds like a good price. Under $100/hp. Does that include rigging?
Matt

Return to “Power Boats”