Malahini Motor Well Question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

ofthepeace

Malahini Motor Well Question

Post by ofthepeace »

I am getting near the fiberglass stage and noticed something about the steps of the building process in my Malahini. The instructions say (after the hull is righted) to install the 2x4 brace for the motor well, which sits on the transom knee, through the transom with carriage bolts or 3 inch screws. At his point the hull would be already fiberglassed. I don't want to drill through the transom and my new fiberglass if I can avoid it since the point of fiberglass is to seal the hull. How do you handle the installation of the motor well brace? It can't be installed before the hull is fiberglassed because the building form is obviously in the way.

Thanks

David

hoodman

Re: Malahini Motor Well Question

Post by hoodman »

Countersink the screws, fill the holes and try not to worry too much about it. It's above the water line.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

hoodman wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:53 pm
Countersink the screws, fill the holes and try not to worry too much about it. It's above the water line.
You clearly have gotten over the drama of drilling holes in a boat.
😂😂
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

It’s best to wait and mount the motor well board to the transom later. The chances of you getting it in the right place while it’s upside down aren’t in your favor, especially if you haven’t made the transom cutout yet. Disclaimer: I’m just an amateur.
Matt B

Return to “Power Boats”