Modern Hard Top? Any body build one yet

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

riplash

Modern Hard Top? Any body build one yet

Post by riplash »

Hello Guys,

Our Calypso build is still being built upside down, but when I can't be physically working on it, I like to get the plans for the next step. I am planning on making the superstructure like a modern Dual Console. Commercial models that I am looking at and incorporating ideas from are the Sailfish 276 DC, the Edgewater 280CX (This one has a berth), and Scout 277 Dorado to name a few. All of these models have a hardtop, and I think I would like a huge cockpit area under the hardtop, with a smallish cabin, berth and head inside and infront of the Consoles. So do you know if any of the Glen-L plans have a modern hard top in them, or do you know if any builder has built one?

Thanks,
Ryan and Marta.

hoodman

Re: Modern Hard Top? Any body build one yet

Post by hoodman »

Off hand I don't think there is but I have some ideas on how to build one. Are you going to walk around on top of it? Or just for shade?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

there are Glen-L plans for the Dory cabins, I think it is a set of 5 cabins.
Modern? I dunno, but I bet you can get joinery details, window openings, doors, etc., off those plans and adjust as required
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

riplash

Post by riplash »

I don't plan on walking around on the hardtop, except for a tiny bit for maintenance and painting, or install lights, radar, or radio antennas. I have the study plans for Catalina Express, and the Phantom, and they as well as the Calypso all have Flying Bridges, so I know I can build the hardtop as the floor of the flying bridge. I just am curious if somebody has done it already, and see what I can learn from their pitfalls.

I'll take a look at the Dory Cabins.

-Ryan

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I would think sawn or laminated frames to make a nice curve to shed water. 1/2 plywood on top. Trim it on the outside with some mahog.? The Question would be how to support it all. Stainless poles or wood struts somehow.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Kevin Morin

Post by Kevin Morin »

riplash, hoodman,
Looking at the Calypso design page and noting the flying bridge seems to imply the design modification of a non-crew occupied space like the models in your OP would be possible w/o radically changing the design's stability?

I think the key to any design you come up with would be to keep the wt as low as possible? IMO a pair of raked forward, plywood boxes/pillars made up of light wt layers- maybe veneers? would hold up a cover like those shown in the references in your OP.

if you built a cambered former, like a set of keel up station frames, and used thin ply or veneers to make the deck/cover say w/a 3" or 4" camber in the beam of the boat(?) and sheathed the surface in epoxy laminated ply or veneer- you'd end up with a rigid surface that a pair of hollow ply boxes anchored to the hull at the chine- and supported up the topsides then ran up as far as needed for head space would be adequate.

if the top or outer edges of the ply pillars had another laminated T -that aligned to the gunwale- that should be able to 'hold' the fore and after ends of the cover's outer edges?

Much easier in metal- as shown by the various examples in your OP!

Have you tried sketching or roughing out any concept sketches for your design modification to Calypso?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin

riplash

Post by riplash »

Kevin,

I think the overall weight will be less, and the center of gravity will be lower with having a hard top instead of the flying bridge. I will move all the helm weight from the flying bridge to the "Main" deck. The hard top doesn't have to be built as beefy without the hard top. I am thinking about the main support being built like the radar arch on the Catalina Express, and auxillary supports being built out of plywood and lumber torsion box style (like a wing).

I do have some old sketches on sketchup from when I was trying to figure out which plans to buy, and now that I am building it, I am modeling the design up in Fusion 360, to play around with the hull, cabin, and hardtop layout. Sketchup is way faster, but once the design is in Fusion 360 I can change it quicker and do a lot more stuff with Fusion 360.

Here are some sketches from Sketchup a few years ago:
CatalinaDClevel0With2peoplePortFront.jpg
CatalinaDClevel0With2peopleStarboardRear.jpg
The two people are to scale, and the outside of the hull is to scale. I think I was going to make the Hardtop a little longer, and I was playing around with the height of the decks and the height of the hardtop.

Once I bought the plans, I began the physical building, and put the CAD modeling on hold, now it is time to restart the process so I have a plan when I get the hull flipped.

Here are all the Keel, stem, transom, deck, frames, drawn in sketchup from study plans, when I was waiting for the full size plans to arrive: plans
CalypsoStockCad27Jan19.jpg
I'll cobble together my updated design ideas and post them here as I get the drawings done.

-Ryan

Return to “Design Modifications”