Z-Z-ZIP With a Single Open Cockpit?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

RobbieFromCalgary

Z-Z-ZIP With a Single Open Cockpit?

Post by RobbieFromCalgary »

Hey,

Can anyone tell me if I can build the ZIP with a single open cockpit from the rear seat (frame 1) to the front dash (frame 4). I want to do a single cockpit with a rear bench seat and two front captain’s seats and a flat floor all the way through.

Looking at the plans, it looks like Frame 2 is the only one that would need to be modified. I would not have the top part. I do not know if that would make the boat too floppy and flimsy? I have seen and the plans show a walk through design where the bridge decking is cut out and you step over the front seat but I do not know if my idea will take away too much frame?

Please let me know your thoughts?

Thanks!

Robbie
It's better to start now, you never know if you will be able to later.

Hercdrvr

Re: Z-Z-ZIP With a Single Open Cockpit?

Post by Hercdrvr »

Structurally it’s no problem. Good use of space but maybe not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye, opinions will vary. Walt has a nice looking Malahini with stand alone front seats. See G-14 gathering pictures. I would probably do a walk through to free up movement and still keep all but about 14 inches of the cross beam. Good news is, however you do it will be perfect because it’s your boat.
Matt B
Attachments
Walt’s brand new Malahini
Walt’s brand new Malahini

RobbieFromCalgary

Matt B,

Thanks for the information. I was also wondering about the looks, I just got my plans and am excited. I am thinking I may build the full frame 2 and decide when I flip the boat over.... this way I can leave my options open.

Thanks!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Good plan
Matt B

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Look up Robert Greco's Zip, picture of his Zip attached. His forum name was simply his name. He hasnt been active here for a few years. His looked very much like the Malahini Walt built posted by Hercdrvr. I think its a good look. It makes the boat more comfortable for adults in the back giving them better knee room. The mid deck looks cool at the expense of hitting your knees on it if your are an adult back there. You can still hit your knees on the front seat backs but its enough benefit to be worth doing if you like the open cockpit area.
Greco.jpg

RobbieFromCalgary

That is a very nice boat! That is pretty much what I was thinking, thanks for the information!!

Return to “Design Modifications”