Strakes on a zip

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Dave goes fast

Strakes on a zip

Post by Dave goes fast »

I'm looking for thoughts and opinions on whether its a good Idea to add strakes or makes no difference. I plan on being able to hit 45-50 mph top speed and cruise speed about 30-35 mph. My thought was maybe they would give a little better control since I will run at a bit higher speed than most. The hull is in the glassing right now so I have to decide soon . Also wondering about skeg length and what is what most do. I have decided 6' , 2' forward of the transom. Just checking since the instructions just say it should end about half way between frame 4 and 5. I think mine is a bit short but sits nice at 6'.

vupilot

Re: Strakes on a zip

Post by vupilot »

I think 6ft is plenty for the skeg. I think mine was less and I liked the way the boat turned and tracked well.

My thoughts on strakes are you may not notice them much. I'm a minimalist, if its not a clear benefit, why spend the time on it. I don't see the clear benefit in this case.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Agreed, 6ft of skeg is plenty. Getting a Zip through the water at 50mph will take some muscle, what’s your plan for power?
Matt B

Dave goes fast

Post by Dave goes fast »

65 hp merc. Prop 11x 17 but I need to keep the weight below about 850lbs and I'm not sure I can do that. I'm probably dreaming at 50 but 45 might be more realistic. I'm already adding more wood and glass than the original plans. Hopefully flipping the hull in a couple weeks.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I would really like to ride in a Zip at 50 mph, that would be an exhilarating experience ! I’m guessing an 850 lb Zip with 65 hp will run about 40. It takes so much more muscle to get past 40, it’s hardly worth it. Keep us posted on your progress.
Matt B

Return to “Design Modifications”