Zip

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Freewood

Zip

Post by Freewood » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 am

Hi I have made some progress with my zip but am having problems making the plywood floor timber because it is not in the plans I bought. I traced the outline of frame 5 1/2 and drew a line 5 1/2 inches so I have the dimensions of the triangle but I don’t know how much to cut out for the stem. Anyone that can help please do.

Roberta

Re: Zip

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:44 am

The floor timber is part of the frame drawing and should be taken off of that. I don't think there is a separate drawing for the floor timber, like the stem or breasthook. I no longer have the plans, so I can't check. I'm sure someone currently, or recently building one, can chime in.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Freewood

Post by Freewood » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Thank you Roberta. I received two plans for the boat; the full sized plans don’t have the floor timber at all. The small plans show it hiding behind frame 5 1/2 and where it sits on the stem and the set-up frame. It sits in the 3 inch notch in the set-up frame so my guess is I cut 2 1/2 inches from the floor timber for the stem and 3 inches remain to attach to the notch. That looks about right but why is that not in the full sized plans?
john

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:06 pm

There isn't a lot to show on that floor timber and it is quite small. It is shown on the pattern sheet. I have attached a picture of my Zip construction on that pattern sheet. You can see the setpoint (top surface) of the timber as it is laid out on the Frame 5-1/2 pattern and the attaching fasteners. It does get notched out to fit on the stem. I don't have any better pictures. Hope this helps. If I recall, this timber shape is not that critical as long as the notch fits on the stem correctly.

Look to the left of the breast hook and see the outline of the timber on the frame. I had mirror copies made of the patterns so I could lay out the full pattern of the frame, and not just a half image as was supplied. You can also use carbon paper to make a mirror for the other half.

Roberta
Attachments
Zip frames 003.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Freewood

Post by Freewood » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:10 am

Thank you Roberta somehow I overlooked that and forgot while I was making the other frames. I’ve got it now. John

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”