Hello from Calgary

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

RobbieFromCalgary

Hello from Calgary

Post by RobbieFromCalgary »

Hello,

Well, I did it! Last night I ordered the plans for the Zip. In 20 to 30 business days the build begins. I could not be more excited…. And a little worried a will admit. I have been looking at wooden boat plans for years and never really thought that I would be in a position (time or money) to build something. The truth is that I am still not in a position (time or money) to build a boat and that is my biggest fear. With a full time job, a house, a wife, and a 4 year old who knows where it all will come from?

If the last few years have taught me anything it is that tomorrow is never a guarantee. So I figure I had better start now. I chose the Zip because it has the classic look I really like and if I am honest it also feels like something that I am likely to be able to complete. I have a 20’ x 20’ garage, it is insulated but not heated at this point…. Winters here get to -30 so I feel I need to figure something out for that if I want to keep working in the winter…. They also start in late October and go to April so that is a long time to be off. I have limited wood working skills and a small collection of tools. The Budget is also tight but I want to do it right. All and all the Zip seemed like a really good fit. I am hoping I can have something in 2 ish years and a budget that falls just short of divorce but I don’t want to put any real deadline on it…. As long as I keep moving forward. My biggest fear is that I will get stalled or stopped.

I have spent the last 2 months getting my garage cleaned out and ready for this. I am excited to get a start and get going. I hope to create a build thread to document my adventure and I am sure I will pester everyone with allot of questions.
It's better to start now, you never know if you will be able to later.

Roberta

Re: Hello from Calgary

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard! The Zip is very popular and fun to build. Lots of help on the forum, if you need it. Post pictures and ask away.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Reading your post reminds me a lot of when I started my Zip build. 19x19 garage and my wife got here car in the garage every night but one! I also had nothing more than basic tools. I bought a handheld electric jig saw, a bench top sander, some mahogany and marine ply and got started. You are absolutely right about "someday" never coming along. Keep us posted!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Carpe diem
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Otter

Post by Otter »

Robbie:
No time like the present! Just keep in mind that best part is not the finished project, but rather the process. I am having a blast with my project. And the best piece of advice I got from the fine folks in this forum is not to set a time limit...it will gets done when it gets done, just enjoy the ride.

Good luck!
Chris Otterness
Building a Ski-Bass

RobbieFromCalgary

Thanks for all of the encouragement, I am very excited and agree that the progress will be the best part. Don't get me wrong, I very much look forward to floating around in a boat I built myself but what I am really excited about is heading out to the garage and having something to work on during the nights or weekends.

Also, I am having a lot of fun sitting at my desk (don't tell my boss), surfing for all of the bits and bobs that I will need.... a guy could get lost in the sea of cleats, and steering wheels, and knobs, and sparkly you need to put on a boat. I have started to realize that maybe I don't want to track what this thing will cost.... I am thinking I should probably just throw all of my receipts into a paper shredder and focus on the result :D

Well, I am patiently awaiting the combination of the USPS and Canadian Postal Service to come through.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Save your receipts. I don't know about Canada, but when I went to register they wanted to see them. I didn't have every one but they just wanted to make sure I had paid tax on the materials. :roll:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Sales tax seems to be the most important thing to states when registering.

Roberta :)
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

RobbieFromCalgary

Good Points, Thanks!!

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Welcome!
It took me over three years to finish my Zip (with a move in there). I remember a New Year's Eve party where the crowd spilled out into the garage. There were drinks sitting on my upside-down hull while people socialized. It was fun to tell them about it and keep them informed as I progressed.

My absolute truth is this: It was FAR more fun to build the boat than it is to own the boat. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy zipping around the local lakes and watching people stare as they wonder what it is. I enjoy people asking me, "What year is that?" and seeing the look on their face when I tell them that I built it. It's all very rewarding. But, none of it is as rewarding as standing back after each milestone and seeing what you can do with your own hands.

When I went to get the HIN from the state inspector, I showed him my stack of receipts and my total as best as I could figure it. He looked at the paper in my hand, turned back to the Zip and said, "Looks like about a 1000 dollar boat to me", and he wrote that value on his inspection sheet. That's what I paid taxes on.
Keep your receipts, but don't get caught up in cost. Just buy each item sensibly and know in the end that you were sensible.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”