New member from Peoria Illinois

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Muskie

New member from Peoria Illinois

Post by Muskie »

I’m a first time builder considering the Little hunky dory stretched to twenty feet. I like the looks ,size and feel it should be one of the easier boat design to build for my first build. I think I’m ok with the flat bottom and used to running flat bottom boats on the Illinois river. I’m hoping to be able to trailer the boat to Ontario to fish lakes such as Lac Suel. I feel the size is right but am concerned that if I run a tiller 50 horse will I have any trouble seeing over the raised bow? That’s my primary question. Second question : While I’m not too concerned about speed , will I regret having to slow down because of the flat bottom when it gets a little rough.

vupilot

Re: New member from Peoria Illinois

Post by vupilot »

Welcome! You'll have to slow down in rough conditions in most Glen-L boats. I think you'll enjoy the boat very much for the waters you mention.

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Welcome!

I think there's a few "go fast" boats on the Illinois so those are your biggest concerns. Just remember to keep the bow up on wakes.
Tahoe 21' - under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Muskie wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:07 pm
I’m a first time builder considering the Little hunky dory stretched to twenty feet. I like the looks ,size and feel it should be one of the easier boat design to build for my first build. I think I’m ok with the flat bottom and used to running flat bottom boats on the Illinois river. I’m hoping to be able to trailer the boat to Ontario to fish lakes such as Lac Suel. I feel the size is right but am concerned that if I run a tiller 50 horse will I have any trouble seeing over the raised bow? That’s my primary question. Second question : While I’m not too concerned about speed , will I regret having to slow down because of the flat bottom when it gets a little rough.
The little hunk has a flat bottom, but with 30 degree sides the actual bottom is proportionally much narrower than your typical "flats boat" or river boat, so you may find the pounding is not as bad as you thought and if you are sitting aft on a tiller it will be even less. Its still is going to pound in a chop and outside of super flat conditions, one tends to operate it between 10-18 knots. As for seeing over bow - if you are sitting aft with a tiller your visibility will be a bit compromised....but if you are standing it will be fine. To me this design really is made for beach launching and landing and is a stable safe fishing platform and totally at home in a bigger swell. For launching and landing out of regular boat launches, in bigger freshwater lakes, it will do fine but I think there are better options.

kens

Post by kens »

I used to have a flat bottomed skiff also with tiller motor. used it in Subic bay.
When conditions blew up tough, I often loaded all the weight to one chine, made it run on its chine. yes, it did get up on plane, with one chine up in the air, the other with zero freeboard, and your presenting a v-bottom to the water. Done that many times.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”