Zip or Tuffy? The question in Austin

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

gomerrell

Zip or Tuffy? The question in Austin

Post by gomerrell »

Hey all! I have been lusting over Glen-L boats for several years. I am a rank amateur wood worker but have done a few projects. I am about to embark on building my first boat. I love the look and lines and size of the zip but think the Tuffy is more in my skill set. For those of you out there with some experience, how much more intense would the zip be to build than the Tuffy? As a pastor on staff at a large church, I don't have much free time but I want to build a boat I'll love to use with my family of 4 and don't mind if it takes a few years. Anyone care to share some advice?
The bold and courageous may not live forever but the timid never live.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Zip or Tuffy? The question in Austin

Post by Bill Edmundson »

gomerrell

First. Welcome!

There is very little difference in the degree of difficulty in the work between the two boats. One is just a little more material, a little more sanding and a little more painting. etc.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gomerrell

Post by gomerrell »

Thanks Bill. I appreciate that.

gomerrell

Post by gomerrell »

From a work hours perspective, would there be a significantly greater investment of time put into the Zip as opposed to the Tuffy?

On the Tuffy catalog page, it says it is designed for the "Rank Amateur". Is that just catalog marketing or do you think it really is true? If so, what makes it so much better for the Amateur?

Thanks.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

There will be very little difference. I think you'll find that you set a task for the evening. It will take an hour and ten minutes or it will take an hour and twenty minutes. It will end up the same number of days.

I'd go with the zip and stretch it 10%. These boats were designed a long time ago. People are just bigger now.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

gomerrell wrote:From a work hours perspective, would there be a significantly greater investment of time put into the Zip as opposed to the Tuffy?

On the Tuffy catalog page, it says it is designed for the "Rank Amateur". Is that just catalog marketing or do you think it really is true? If so, what makes it so much better for the Amateur?

Thanks.

I would lend no credence to any ranking of designs as to the ability of the builder. If you have the desire to build any particular design, then go ahead and do it. There are many builds of great boats on this project registry that were built by people with less experience than you .
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Iggy

Post by Iggy »

The primary difference for me between those two designs, at least for me, is that the ZIP would probably look best with a mahogany deck & classic finish. Whereas the Tuffy would probably look best finished in paint as it has a real sporty look to it.

I love them both.. so I wouldn't want to steer you in any particular direction.

Whichever you prefer.. they will both be a pleasure to build and require about the same amount of space and tools and time.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

gomerrell

Post by gomerrell »

Thanks guys for all of the input!

I am going for the Zip. That is the design that I really like the most. I received Tuffy plans in the mail today but will send them back and have already ordered the Zip plans. The decking on the Zip psyched me out but after looking at the Forum, it looks very doable with some good elbow grease and patience. I am excited to begin!

CM

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”