Aluminum Drift Boat Plans

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jim8014

Aluminum Drift Boat Plans

Post by jim8014 »

Does anyone know if "cut files" are available from Glen L for the aluminum boat plans. I would prefer to have them as opposed to cutting by hand, much more accurate and very economical to have done. My shop has a 6 x 12 foot CNC plasma torch for any of you interested in getting parts cut out. Our local aluminum suppliers will cut for the drift boat at a $1.00 a pound or less. Saves a lot of time and, of course, very very accurate!

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Aluminum Drift Boat Plans

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Jim,

We don't have "cut files" or any computer files for our designs. They are all hand-drawn and designed the old-fashioned way...
Gayle Brantuk
Glen L Witt's daughter
Past Glen-L Marine President

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Gayle Brantuk wrote:Jim,

We don't have "cut files" or any computer files for our designs. They are all hand-drawn and designed the old-fashioned way...
8) :lol: my way one of my many professions is a draftsmen and I have never used a computer to draw any prints it has always been by hand :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Fisher50

Post by Fisher50 »

jim8014 wrote:Does anyone know if "cut files" are available from Glen L for the aluminum boat plans. I would prefer to have them as opposed to cutting by hand, much more accurate and very economical to have done. My shop has a 6 x 12 foot CNC plasma torch for any of you interested in getting parts cut out. Our local aluminum suppliers will cut for the drift boat at a $1.00 a pound or less. Saves a lot of time and, of course, very very accurate!
This is my first message hope you get it. I am planning on building a Aluminum drift boat and am interested in any tips you may have before I start. I like the idea of having the metal cut on a CNC machine. I see you live in Maple Valley I'm not sure where that is I'll have to look it up. Any way have you figured the cost and type of alum. you'll be using? I want to research as much as possible before I begin. I do have experience in welding and fab work I have a Miller spool gun and have been thinking about a Tig and Plasma. I'm retired and anxious to start. Fisher50

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Welcome Fisher50!

There is an enormous amount of good information in this site. Check especially the sections on metal construction methods. Many of the forum members are experts in the field and have shared a plethora of information on the subject.

Best wishes on your project, and ask lots of questions, that's how we all learn!
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”