tahoe19 plans

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

behrendt

tahoe19 plans

Post by behrendt »

I just received my Tahoe19 plans and have a few questions after reviewing the plans.
1. Is the curve across the transom the same as the chamber line for the deck?
2. I am having a lot of trouble with views "a", "b" and "c". I am pretty good at reading blue prints but I can't seem to find a view showing were these points go through the plan view. Prints I am use to reading show arrows going through the plan. These arrows show the direction you are looking into the view.( I hope I explained that better than I read it) At the shear line it looks like I see 2 set of shear rails, one at the shear and one at the deck.
All 3 views show the same.
3. Is it OK to coat all the parts with epoxy resin prior to assembly? If I do, will this affect the adhesion of the parts when I epoxy them together at assembly?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bill Edmundson

Re: tahoe19 plans

Post by Bill Edmundson »

behrendt

The curvature at the top of the transom is the same as the tops of the frames. However, because the transom slopes and is curved It does get a little tricky. So is the bottom of the transom. The top and bottom are built up of multiple 1"x... The easiest way to do this is to build them rough. Then during the fairing process use a straight edge across two frames and smooth transom to that line.

It will be much easier to coat the frame as you build it. The first layer of planking can be coated on the inside as you go. It is painful to crawl around inside the boat after the flip.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Behrendt

1 I used the deck camber line for the transom. I made a ply template of this arc and used it to get the deck camber for each frame and also shaped these parts by using the template as a router guide with a top bearing staight bit. As for the transom I also used the template, by determining the lenght of the horizontal formers that form the false transom and as with the frames shaped these formers with the template. (Sorry for lack of technical terms but I am not looking at the plans and instructions at the moment. So I hope this makes sense)

2 Views "a", "b" and "c' are indicative and not at a specific cross-section. From memory it says on the plan that they are viewed from the stern, but it doesn't really matter. I found these views hard to get my head around for quiet a while, especially sheer point and deck point. These views basicly perform two roles. 1. They show how due to fairing extra sheer clamps layers will be needed to be added to the inside at the bow and the outside at the stern, 2 They give you a detailed view of the junction of the side frame and the deck beam and specifically the placement and dimensions of the notches to recieve the sheer and deck clamps.
3. Yes it is best (imo) to epoxy all parts before assembly. Just course sand (80 grit) mating surfaces before glueing.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

behrendt

Post by behrendt »

Thanks for the information. It has been a lot of help. Once I get further along I am sure I will need your advise again. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”