new guy from orange county, ca

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

dpc480

new guy from orange county, ca

Post by dpc480 »

hey fellas, i have been kicking around the idea of building my own boat for some time now, and keep stumbling on the La Paz 22' CC. my thought would be to build this at the 24' LOA per the design. has anyone had any experience with this boat or something similar? and pointers or direction would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

JoeM

Re: new guy from orange county, ca

Post by JoeM »

Welcome to the forums! I'm not too far north of you. I have not started building but I'm planning on building a True Grit. I looked hard at the La Paz and it's a sweet boat but in the end I needed a little more boat for my purposes.

Best advice I can give for someone else in early stages is to purchase the book BoatBuilding with Plywood by Glen L. It will give you alot of information that can help you plan things out and truly understand what you're thinking about embarking on.

Also, cruise around the forums looking at other builds. Many times the construction techniques are the same or can be adapted from boat to boat. Not to mention lots of great pictures that will inspire you!

If you have questions ask away as there is a lot of talented and helpful people around that can answer your question and should you decide to build start a thread and document it for us all to follow along. Lots of pictures please!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That's a nice design. It doesn't look like it should be especially difficult to build compared to other designs in the catalog. The only thing that would potentially scare me off is the lift strakes but I'm sure that's a surmountable challenge and probably not as difficult as they look. Looks like it will be good in the rough stuff with that big deep vee as well.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

dpc480

Post by dpc480 »

Thanks guys. My main purpose for this boat will be fishing, but I opted for this platform due to the flexibility in length and ease to maintain. Last year I sold my Skipjack 262, which was a great boat, but just too much for what we were using it for. A 4 hour day on the water would require a 5 hour wash down just shy of a full detail. A center console is ideal from an upkeep perspective, at least in my opinion.

As far as this design goes it does seem more simple than what else is out there, but I do foresee a long build, just to do it right. I appreciate all the help and encouragement. I do have some woodworking knowledge just not with boat, so wherever I can offer my two cents I will. Thanks again

Danny

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat »

I am also in OC and I can appreciate the effort to maintain the Skipjack a smaller center console may adequately fit the bill. good luck with your build that is a nice boat for CA waters
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

dpc480

Post by dpc480 »

Soloboat wrote:I am also in OC and I can appreciate the effort to maintain the Skipjack a smaller center console may adequately fit the bill. good luck with your build that is a nice boat for CA waters

hey soloboat, I'm in orange as well. tustin&lincoln

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”