New member from Ontario, Canada

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

malcolm2

New member from Ontario, Canada

Post by malcolm2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi all,

I have been thinking about building a boat for some time and have been running in circles.

Just finishing up a canoe from this summer and have really enjoyed the process, so I am looking to expand the fun and build something bigger...

Here are my decision points so far, I would appreciate any feedback you all have:

I love the look of a mahogany runabout (Tahoe 23), would be my dream boat to build if I had no commitments and +++ money. However, I am a full time post-grad student (so I have some weekends, holidays, and 2 month summer), I have 0 engine/mechanical build experience, and back to the post-grad student thing... little cash to spend on this. I am confident with my wood working skills and have access to a full shop, so building the body of the boat will hopefully not be the biggest learning curve. This points me towards an outboard, something like the Malahini or Geronimo or Roustabout. Something I can take out on day trips for fishing, tubing, skiing, and could handle bigger water (lake Ontario/Erie). And that's where I am at... not sure how to decide what plans to go with.

Do I bite the bullet on time, cost and learning about engines and just start chipping away at the Tahoe, knowing I won't get it don't for many years until I am finished my schooling? Or should I pick something that I know is feasible within the 'near' future and more in my skill set?

I'll keep debating with myself... would love to also hear some of your thoughts.

Best,
Malcolm

jwilli

Re: New member from Ontario, Canada

Post by jwilli » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi Malcolm I built the Glen L Kingpin 35 years ago. At the time I also had very little money to spend on building a boat but 13 years later it was completed. I built the frames from the Glen L plans and found that this was a lot easier than first anticipated. Now I have torn it down and refinished the hull and am now redesigning the top of the boat. If you have a little time here and there and a little extra money now and then you will be able to complete any project you want to build. A little patience and dedication and you will get it done.I will post some past and present pictures soon.
Jeff Williams
New Member Lethbridge AB

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I have about 15k in my Geronimo with all new components. You could save some by going with a used outboard depending. Donor boats can be a good option but you gotta get lucky with the right one. I never found one that seemed like it would be worth it. Out of the three outboard designs you mentioned, the Roustabout would be the best "big water" boat. The Geronimo and Malahini don't have much deadrise. Although, I think any planing boat is going to beat you up pretty bad in rough water.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Malcolm

I agree with Matt. Roustabout.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Malcolm,

Roustabout, but stretch it 10%. Tahoe 23, beautiful boat, complicated, time-consuming, and expensive, build it as your second boat. :D :D :D

Tom

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:34 pm

The Tahoe doesn't have much deadrise though right?
Matt

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:42 pm

The 23 has some dead rise, can't say about the 19. The Roustabout has more dead rise and should help smooth some of that East Lake Erie chop.

Tom

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Roustabout finished out with traditional wood decking would look cool. Hang a 150 outboard on it, that’a be a capable boat with a better ride and wider beam than a Malahini.
Used 150 hp market is a bit of a buyers market if there is such a thing with outboards, lots of bass boats wanting to upgrade to a 200+hp so they can be fishing 3 minutes faster. In my search for a 90, I ran across several reasonably priced,low time, fresh water Optimax 150’s.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:11 pm

115s seem to be plentiful as well.
Matt

malcolm2

Post by malcolm2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm

jwilli wrote:Hi Malcolm I built the Glen L Kingpin 35 years ago. At the time I also had very little money to spend on building a boat but 13 years later it was completed. I built the frames from the Glen L plans and found that this was a lot easier than first anticipated. Now I have torn it down and refinished the hull and am now redesigning the top of the boat. If you have a little time here and there and a little extra money now and then you will be able to complete any project you want to build. A little patience and dedication and you will get it done.I will post some past and present pictures soon.
Jeff Williams
New Member Lethbridge AB
Thanks Jeff, look forward to seeing some pictures of the Kingpin, was not something I have considered yet.

malcolm2

Post by malcolm2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:Roustabout finished out with traditional wood decking would look cool. Hang a 150 outboard on it, that’a be a capable boat with a better ride and wider beam than a Malahini.
Used 150 hp market is a bit of a buyers market if there is such a thing with outboards, lots of bass boats wanting to upgrade to a 200+hp so they can be fishing 3 minutes faster. In my search for a 90, I ran across several reasonably priced,low time, fresh water Optimax 150’s.
Matt B

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm leaning towards the Roustabout which will seem to satisfy my utility + classic runabout checklist!

Avisser

Post by Avisser » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Hey Malcolm2

I know I'm a year out from your last post, but wondering if you started your build?

I'm in Ontario as well and seriously considering the same boat for the same water.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”