New Member From Nebraska

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Lowcars

New Member From Nebraska

Post by Lowcars » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 pm

I love wooden boats. The more I see of them, the better I like them. I have dabbled in woodworking before, but nothing like a boat build. I have built cars, but never a boat. I am seriously looking at a Barrelback and I love the forward sloping transom of the Riviera and I also love the early Rivas. Would there be a way to incorporate the Riviera Transom into a Barrelback? I mean retain the Barrelback transom just lean it forward. Great forum, looking forward to a reply. Thanx

TomB

Re: New Member From Nebraska

Post by TomB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:19 am

Welcome to the forum,

Can the transom be modified? Absolutely!

I am a little confused about the transom you imagine. When I think about the Rivas, I think Tahoes. The Barrelback and Riviera both have plumb round transoms, while the Tahoe has a forward sloping transom. Several of the GlenL designs have a Barrelback transoms with different stem designs and interior arrangements. Selecting the design you like best might be more difficult than the transom modification.

The design you select will have a transom pattern. Use it to set the location of longitudinals running well beyond the transom. Now the fun part, make a new transom meeting the design transom top center and sloped 30* to meet the keel. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.

Tom

Lowcars

Post by Lowcars » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:07 am

You are right. Its the Tahoe I was thinking about. I don't know for sure how I mistook the two. Hey, I have the chance to buy a 1951 Cris Craft for under a thousand that has all of the original hardware including original gauges. would that be the way to go for hardware? It looks to be in decent shape and the boat took a massive hit on the left side so it would be a complete rebuild to save it. Probably not worth it. It is a "Special Runabout".

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:53 am

Many builders here have used donor boats for various parts. Considering the cost of and availability of hardware, $1000 probably isn't too bad. Does it have a usable engine and transmission? If so, even better.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:09 am

I agree with Bryan. Inboard hardware, deck hardware, windshield brackets, trailer (?), engine & trans (?), controls - way more than a thousand. Tom

Lowcars

Post by Lowcars » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:57 am

The only thing missing are the propeller and the prop shaft. As far as the engine and trans being usable, I'm not sure. Thanx for the input.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”