New member from Louisiana

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Swomel

New member from Louisiana

Post by Swomel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 am

New guy here, from north Louisiana, I havent settled on a design yet, but taking a hard look at the bolero, with twin turbo Chevy v8s. My want list includes an open cabin for at least 5 people and a couple coolers, maybe a few other water toys. I also want to achieve 50 mph and be able to tow skiers or tubers. Any advice would be appreciated, as it seems the bolero is not one of the more popular designs.

BayouBengal

Re: New member from Louisiana

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Welcome from another Louisiana (Baton Rouge) builder.

That's a lot of boat, a lot of power, and sounds extremely exciting!

Are you going to have twin props or connect both engines to a single drive?

You'll be right at the edge on motor weight. Are you going to extend the hull length to compensate?

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:05 am

Welcome from another Louisiana member (Metairie). I am also interested to see how you go about setting up your drive train. Post pictures!
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Welcome!
The Bolero is a good looking boat.
The hull design looks similar to the 20 ' Wellcraft I used to own. Hull design is everything in a high speed boat.
You probably will be able to attain 50+ mph with a single 265 hp 5.7L I/O. ( I got 55mph stock)
My 5.7L was tweaked to 330 hp resulting in a top speed of 70 mpg.
I would suggest going with a single I/O.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Swomel

Post by Swomel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:14 am

BayouBengal wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Welcome from another Louisiana (Baton Rouge) builder.

That's a lot of boat, a lot of power, and sounds extremely exciting!

Are you going to have twin props or connect both engines to a single drive?

You'll be right at the edge on motor weight. Are you going to extend the hull length to compensate?

I had planned on the 10% expansion, and running through dual bravo ones. As a first build this may be beyond my present skillset and my wife's idea of budget as well. Using the 4.8L should save a bit of weight over the 6.2l. These smaller displacement engines will run rpms in the 6k range all day long and produce an easy 500hp with a turbocharger as well as quick response from less mass in the turning assembly. Like I said, I'm just now doing research to formulate a plan, but that was where I was leaning. Stay dry this weekend!

Swomel

Post by Swomel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:16 am

Jimbob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm
Welcome!
The Bolero is a good looking boat.
The hull design looks similar to the 20 ' Wellcraft I used to own. Hull design is everything in a high speed boat.
You probably will be able to attain 50+ mph with a single 265 hp 5.7L I/O. ( I got 55mph stock)
My 5.7L was tweaked to 330 hp resulting in a top speed of 70 mpg.
I would suggest going with a single I/O.
Jim
Jim, that is interesting, it may lend pause and make me rethink my plan. I'm all for speed, but if that's possible with much less cost it would be the most attractive option by far!

Swomel

Post by Swomel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 am

Yall Louisiana guys, who did you source your lumber from? Brief inquiries in the monroe area have yielded few results beyond box stores, a few independents claim they can get mahogany and such, but sight unseen, take what's delivered sort of thing.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:03 pm

https://www.glen-l.com/how-fast/

Hull weight of Bolero as listed is 1500 lbs. Add in engine, fuel, gear, and people get around 3000 lbs? Maybe a little more? Based on the chart in the link above 300 hp would get you 50+ mph. 500 Would get you 60+ or maybe a little less if you are really loaded down.

The chart is accurate based on my experience with my Geronimo.

Twin V8s are definitely not needed to hit your performance goals.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Swomel

Post by Swomel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:27 pm

hoodman wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:03 pm
https://www.glen-l.com/how-fast/

Hull weight of Bolero as listed is 1500 lbs. Add in engine, fuel, gear, and people get around 3000 lbs? Maybe a little more? Based on the chart in the link above 300 hp would get you 50+ mph. 500 Would get you 60+ or maybe a little less if you are really loaded down.

The chart is accurate based on my experience with my Geronimo.

Twin V8s are definitely not needed to hit your performance goals.
I hadn't seen that chart or those calculations yet, thank yall. You have made my project much less daunting and expensive!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”