Newbie from Central New York (Syracuse, NY Area)

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

AndyPhillips

Newbie from Central New York (Syracuse, NY Area)

Post by AndyPhillips » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've had a desire for some time to build my own boat. I at first was going to do a Barrelback 19 but since have decided to start with the Ski King 15. I am a high end cabinet maker/finish carpenter and want to use my God given skill to build a boat. I am so excited to work with the many curves, corners, and many other areas that may challenge me. I would like to run a v8 in it and have been reading alot about what I may need to do to make sure it fits. The Ski King I have been reading about stretched the distance between some of the frames to help accommodate a 283 and I welcome any other pointers as I start my project! I look forward to learning from all of you. Thanks for all the info you have submitted and taught me already!

hoodman

Re: Newbie from Central New York (Syracuse, NY Area)

Post by hoodman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Welcome! We're here to help. Have fun!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

galamb

Post by galamb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Welcome aboard.

Since I'm just north of Kingston, Ontario, accross the "pond" from you, I guess that makes you a "southerner" :)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:10 pm

I too was a finish carpenter when I built my ZIP, and felt like I had to forget most everything I learned as a carpenter, as nothing is plumb, level, or square in a boat. The 283 should be a sweet engine. All the best.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 am

Welcome Andy! Glad to hear you're going to build a Ski King--that's a very classy boat... it was my dad's (Glen-L) personal boat in the 50's.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”