New member from Utah

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

climbrando

New member from Utah

Post by climbrando » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi,

I am living in Utah, but I am from California. I grew up boating on the ocean, and lakes in arizona and nevada. When I graduated from college, I moved to utah for a job. I considered a boat again but gas was so expensive I started camping. the camping trailer I bought started to fall apart after 8 years and I missed the water. So I took sailing lessons and learned to sail sold the trailer and then bought a catalina 22. Now, my oldest kid (14F) doesn't like sailing anymore. It is to slow and she doesn't get cell phone reception. :roll: My youngest (6M) only cares about fishing and beaches. My wife enjoys it and will go, but only about half the time. So i am going to sell the catalina and then build a small sailboat that I can trailer and launch by myself. I want to day sailing and occasionally overnight. I am looking at tango, but fancy free and Amigo are so beautiful. I love the look of a gaff rig. Any way my plan is to build a Canoe first. My wife loves camping and rowing around lakes and rivers (our current means of doing this is a two person inflatable kayak) she has always wanted a Canoe. So I think I will do the stripper or the Chippewa. I am open to any suggestions as to which would be a better stepping stone to build a larger sailboat.

Branden

TomB

Re: New member from Utah

Post by TomB » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Welcome Branden,

You could build the sailboat now if you like, no experience required. I like strip planked canoes, so the stripper gets my vote (aesthetics and lighter weight). One other thing to consider...camping and canoeing go together; mom, dad, and two kids go together; if you build a canoe, can you build just one? I think you'll need a pair. :wink:

Tom

climbrando

Re: New member from Utah

Post by climbrando » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks, I like the stripper too. And two is always better then 1 :) :)

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”