Hello from Texas

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

TreyG

Hello from Texas

Post by TreyG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Trey. I’m from Houston, Texas and looking to do my first boat build. I’m a remodeling contractor with carpenter as my primary trade. I’ve built lots of cabinets and furniture over the years, so while Im not very familiar with fiberglass work, I’m fairly comfortable tackling this project. I am having a hard time deciding exactly what I want to build though. I really like the barrelback design with the rear inboard motor but I think I’d prefer to build one with a larger open cockpit without the separation between seating areas. Something more like the Malahini. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to build a barrelback without the separation, or is it needed for structural integrity?

TomB

Re: Hello from Texas

Post by TomB » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Hey Trey, Welcome.

The hull is plenty strong with or without a deck beam between the seat rows. Stretching to 20' would give you a little more cockpit too.

Tom

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Yes, You can open up the cockpit of a Barrel-back. There’s nothing structural about the beam between the seats. If you stretch the hull to 20ft you’ll have about 5 1/2- maybe 6ft from the dash to the back seat.
The Key-Largo is the same hull but in a utility configuration, more room but not as sexy.
Our Malahini is a very roomy boat for a family of 4 and plywood construction is faster and a less complicated build. Are you more interested in building or boating? The Barrel-back is a bit more of an extended journey verses a Malahini.
Keep asking questions, everyone here wants you to build the boat that’s best for you.
Matt B

TreyG

Post by TreyG » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 am

Thanks to both for the replies. I’m going to have to think on it a bit more. I love the idea of a barrelback with a larger single cockpit, but I’m leaning towards the easier to build, and shorter length so I can do it in my garage Malahini at this point.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:12 am

You really can't go wrong with a Malahini. It hits the sweet spot in a lot of ways.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 am

hoodman wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:12 am
You really can't go wrong with a Malahini. It hits the sweet spot in a lot of ways.
Plus one.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 am

With your background, (mine is similar) you shouldn't have any issues modifying the plans to suit you in that respect. I almost opened mine up (wish I had after having to climb down the back to the added swim deck, but the admiral (wife) preferred the deck). I actually went so far as to delete the rear cockpit because I saw little use in it. My plan was to open her up and put a bench in the back. But her preference was to deck her out. Even though we both have slipped and fell Enroute to the swim deck! :lol:

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”