New Member Barrelback 20’ Build, Lake Gaston, NC

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Chris S

New Member Barrelback 20’ Build, Lake Gaston, NC

Post by Chris S »

Greeting forum folk! I think 2020 is the year I get started on my build. I’m looking for wood sources in North Carolina and Southern parts of Virginia...as well as any advice you folks care to share. I have my Glen-L plans and my shop and tools are raring to go. Happy 2020 everyone! Chris :D

Jimbob

Re: New Member Barrelback 20’ Build, Lake Gaston, NC

Post by Jimbob »

Welcome Chris!
From another barrelback builder. Ask plenty of questions, we're all here to help. And post pictures along the way.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Will do Jim! Thanks for your reply and offer to answer questions. My first step is to nail down (no pun intended) some mahogany and marine ply suppliers in the North Carolina area. Working on it... Chris PS: I'm a retired Government guy and lived in California on three different occasions--beautiful!

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

When you are shopping for wood, I would highly recommend joubert marine plywood, and sapele african mahogany.
The joubert plywood is pretty pricey, but it's of the highest quality.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

Hi and welcome,

I am down the road from you in Raleigh and built a GlenL 'ZIP' some years ago. I sourced my Joubert marine plywood at Hood Distribution in Knightdale outside of Raleigh. Ostensibly they wholesale only, but for serious woodworkers they will sell direct.

Once you have sufficient posts you will be able to PM (Private Message) other GlenL folks. I am a member of the local ACBS (Antique and Classic Boat Society), the NC Coastal and Piedmont chapter. There are fellow ACBS members much more knowledgeable about hardwood sources than I, and I would be happy to introduce you to our friendly group. All the best.

Garfield the 'gdcarpenter'
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I bought lumber from Catawba Hardwoods in Marion, NC and plywood from the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, NC.

Catawba also has a location in Hickory.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”