New guy looking to build a boat specifically for camping

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

hoodman

Re: New guy looking to build a boat specifically for camping

Post by hoodman »

https://www.boatdesigns.com/20-24-Water ... ducts/899/

Maybe not what you were thinking but maybe it could work.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

You could build a smaller pontoon boat-20-24 ft with 9.9 motor.You won't waterski behind it but one could build it with space for tent on stern and 3 of those fancy tent/cot combos for the kids.or bigger tent enclosure.Everything can be folded up and stowed on board to facilitate fishing or what have you.You wouldn't have to get fancy spendy seating either-just wood picnic table of sorts .Get creative and have a blast.I built a 18 ft Bo-Jest for my camp boat(for 2) with Yamaha 9.9 high-thrust. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Swamp_Yankee

Post by Swamp_Yankee »

hoodman wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:08 pm
https://www.boatdesigns.com/20-24-Water ... ducts/899/ Maybe not what you were thinking but maybe it could work.
chugalug wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:44 pm
You could build a smaller pontoon boat-20-24 ft with 9.9 motor.You won't waterski behind it but one could build it with space for tent on stern and 3 of those fancy tent/cot combos for the kids.or bigger tent enclosure.Everything can be folded up and stowed on board to facilitate fishing or what have you.You wouldn't have to get fancy spendy seating either-just wood picnic table of sorts .Get creative and have a blast.I built a 18 ft Bo-Jest for my camp boat(for 2) with Yamaha 9.9 high-thrust. :D
Thank you for the suggestions. The Water Lodge looks interesting-to be clear we are not looking to camp on the boat-rather to just use the boat to ferry us and camping equipment to the camping area. We will be setting up a tent right on the shore. I could very easily build something like the Water Lodge, I would just be curious as to how well a 9.9HP would push it.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

It would push it just fine at a fast walking speed if I had to guess. If you built a water lodge you might WANT to sleep on the boat.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Based upon your needs, it kind of sounds as if the Water Lodge would be overkill as it is really just a small houseboat. Although building a boat is a fun project, you have to go into it knowing that it is going to take some time. Most of us have spent several years on ours. Only the smaller runabouts or boats (think prams or rowboats) can be completed reasonably in a years time give the constraints of work and life in general.

For your needs I think your idea of the pontoon boat running on a smaller motor is more suitable. As long as you don't get a larger boat, the 9.9 should push it around at the speeds you mentioned. I can't say for sure what you should do, only you can make that decision, but I do know that you should only build a boat if you want to build it.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Huck Finn pontoons would meet your need. I would also buy the cabin plans in case your needs change.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/12-28-Huck- ... ducts/169/

https://www.boatdesigns.com/Huck-Finn-C ... ducts/170/

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Coarse, if you're just using it to transport your stuff,I would look at the flat-bottomed skiffs.Look easier to build and probably go in skinnier water as well as performance with 9.9 motor :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”