new the forum and first time boat builder

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mcgingles

new the forum and first time boat builder

Post by mcgingles »

Hello all,
I have just ordered plans for my first boat, Imp. I want to build runabout/ski type hull in the future and hope this forum will help in the planning and decision making process of that build. As for the Imp, not planning anything fancy, just practical pond fishing , slide in the bed of the truck, boat. Hoping building the imp will be a good introduction to the craft.

Thanks
Mac Gingles
Chelsea, Al

Ibrew2be

Re: new the forum and first time boat builder

Post by Ibrew2be »

Welcome to the forum, Mac.

I too chose the Imp as my first build. It is a delightful little boat. Mine is sitting in my garage on its trailer right now. It never fails to make me smile any time I walk past it.

I learned a lot building my Imp, and I've learned even more over the past few years following the activities on this forum. Post away with your questions. There's lots of help to be had.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Slowly building Ken Bassett's Rascal

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Welcome, I will enjoy following your build.
Matt B

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Hi Guys
I chose to build the Pee Wee for my 5 year old grandson and was in the process of cutting and laying out all the frame sections when I came across an area I need some guidance on. I have completed the stem and held it together with screws but have not glued it yet. I have also cut and screwed together the breasthook, as well as notched the bottom section for the stem, but have not glued it. (see pic) I have cut the strongback and was looking into how it is attached and that's where my troubles began. The design of the breasthook (see pic) shows the cut out in the lower piece of the breasthook (dotted lines) but does not show any cut out for the strongback. In the assembly drawing (see Pic) the words that are used are ""notches around breasthook". This statement is confusing to me because I don't know how you would notch around the breasthook and the drawing clearly shows a solid line indicating it either sits on top or is notched into the breashook and is flush with the top. I have looked at pictures on this sight of other designs and have seen both styles. My best guess would be that it is notched into the breasthook and is flush with the top. If my best guess is correct then there is no dimension as to how deep to make the notch into the breasthook.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated

download/file.php?mode=view&id=36872
download/file.php?mode=view&id=36870
download/file.php?mode=view&id=36871

Thanks Ed
Attachments
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

You can rabbet the breasthook, the strongback, or both. There won't be a dimension for this. It just all has to end up fair. I don't really have any advice except that by the time you get to that point I think you'll understand what to do. You don't really need to worry about it at this point in the build.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks for the guidance Matt
This is obviously my first boat build but I do have a few decades of experience designing and building capital equipment for the plastics industry, so that was the approach I was taking with this build. I would have thought that if any additional work was required to mate the strongback to the breasthook it would be called out on the detail, and done before the breasthook was glued together. At least that was my attempted process. plus with no longitudinal dimension for the strongback rabbit it would appear that the dash location is subject to some discretion.
So if I understand you correctly I can do whatever type of recessed joint I wish at this intersection as long as the strongback is slightly higher than the breasthook surface and then glue the breasthook together?
Or are you suggesting that I not glue the breasthook together until later on in the build?

thanks again Matt
Ed

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Go ahead and assemble the breasthook. You don't need to worry about the strongback until after the flip. So I wouldn't worry about notching anything just yet. There is probably a location on the plans for the dash but you can move it around a little at your discretion.
Matt

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

OK thanks again Matt, this helps a lot

I will glue the breasthook up and attach it to the stem, and router out whatever notch I need for the strongback when I get there.

However, I have stumbled across another confusing data spot. The keel calls out to be 60" long on the BOM and the notch on the drawing for the stem to receive the keel is 5 1/2" deep. Therefore the keel would mate up to the notched portion of the transom 54 1/2" away from the face of the stem where it butts up against the forward face of the number 2 frame. The problem arises when you look at the assembly drawing (see picture) it shows the forward face of the number 2 frame to be 52" from the back of the transom which is a two piece design of 3/4" material. The keel is intended to sit in the forward notched 3/4" piece of material therefore we need to subtract 3/4" of an inch from the 52" outside listed dimension with puts the forward face of the number 2 frame at 51 1/4".
So 54 1/2" won't fit in a space that is only 51 1/4"?
Can I conclude the 60" keel called out on the BOM is just a unfinished dimension and the actual length will turn out to be 51 1/4"?
Or the only other option I can see is the assembly drawing is a guide and the number 2 frame is adjusted to the 54 1/2" keel length?

Thanks again Matt
Confused
Ed
Attachments
boat assembly drawing.JPG

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Ed: The BOM gives you lengths to purchase or acquire. The plans will give actual measurements of cut pieces. Hope I explained it ok.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

Ed,

The keel is 25 1/4", plus 26", plus the length of the shallow notch in the stem that receives the keel. See your framing drawing were it says "taper keel to width of stem" forward of frame 2. Berle Maxey's photos may help. www.boatbuilders.glen-l.com/pee-wee-des ... erle-maxey

Now would be a good time to start your own build thread. We're looking forward to pictures of your build.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks Bryon that makes sense because the battens are oversized as well to allow for hand fit

Thanks Tom your two measurements equal the 51 1/4" I thought it should be after subtracting the outside 3/4" material of the transom as shown on the assembly drawing.

One maybe two more days and I will have all the structural members cut, tapered, and screwed together so I can take them apart again and start the gluing process.

Thanks Again guys
Ed

TomB

Post by TomB »

No Ed, 51 1/4" is not enough! You still need to add the length of the shallow notch in the stem where the keel will attach to the stem. The keel tapers forward of frame two until it matches the stem thickness, so the length is in the 57" to 60" range.
Untitled.jpg
Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Once you get the frames, transom, and stem all lined up in the building form and locked down, then take a measurement for the keel. I still have about a 12inch cutoff from my keel that lives on my workbench. Almost all of the measurements on the BOM will be longer than what is actually needed.
Matt

Ed Phillips

Post by Ed Phillips »

Thanks Tom B I did forget to add in the notch in the stem, which is 5 1/2" deep in my case per the supplied drawing. So mathematically that should make the keel 51 1/4" plus 5 1/2" for a total of 56 3/4" tip to tip with the taper as shown in the drawing.

Thanks also Matt, but in my case the transom is hanging out in the air (see pic) and it has a 12 degree angle as well so anchoring it to the building frame is problematic as best. All the frame components are cut out and screwed together but not glued yet. I am attempting to do what I would refer to as a dry fit up to uncover issues. Like the variation in bottom angles from the tansom to frames 1 and 2 (see pic). With the keel flat in both frames as well as the transom the battens are not due to the differing angles on the bottom of the frame. I am guessing that is by design and obviously the battens will be bowed somewhat to accommodate those differing angles. I guess it's a good thing it's made out of wood.

So here is what my thoughts on assembly procedures should be once all the frame components are glued up. I would cut the keel to the 56 3/4" length with the appropriate taper to match the width of the stem. I would then set the other end of the keel in the notched transom, glue it. and screw it together. I would immediately turn it over and lay the keel flat on the floor and install the knee which has already been cut to match the 12 degree angle on the bottom of the transom. Now with frames 1 and 2 anchored to the frame assembly jig I should be able to glue and screw the keel to frames 1 and 2 which would then support my tansom in the air and at it's proper angle. Battens and stem next. At least that's what I have came up with so far to keep the measurements correct and the angled transom aligned without a frame to support the transom.

Am I off base here guys? Certainly open to suggestions
Ed
Attachments
Remi's boat frame tansom picture.JPG
Remi's boat frame in jig.JPG
Remi's boat frame drawing.JPG

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Yeah you should extend the build form to support your transom. You can cut the build form stringers at 12 degrees. And you can go ahead and mount the knee to your transom.

Happy 4th y'all!
Matt

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”