Ski king frame construction

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

PJ2

Ski king frame construction

Post by PJ2 »

Hello. New to this forum and boat building. I have decided to build the ski king and have the plans. The boat building with plywood book is on backorder so I thought I would try my first question here. How do you start constructing the frames on the ski king since they do not have full size patterns?

Thank you
PJ

Ibrew2be

Re: Ski king frame construction

Post by Ibrew2be »

PJ,

I'll take a stab at answering your question, though admit up front that I may be a bit off the mark. I see that the Glen-L catalogue says that the Ski King plans come with a "fully dimensioned framework". I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I wonder if it means you've been provided with one or more tables of numbers which function like a Table of Offsets to provide what you can think of as a series of X-Y co-ordinates for various points on the outside edge of the frames.

If that is indeed the case then you can start with a large sheet of plywood or heavy construction paper to lay out the shape of each frame. You would start by drawing a vertical center line and a horizontal baseline, or reference line, perpendicular to the center line. You would then use the information you've been given to plot the points for a given frame. To get the full shape of the frame, you need to plot each point the appropriate distance from the center line on both the right side and the left.

Once you have all of the points laid out for a frame, you join the points. Points that are in a straight line can be joined by a straight edge. This will often be what you're looking at along the bottom of the frame. The sides of the frames and the top of the frames usually are curved. Use a flexible piece of wood sprung so that it touches each of the points on the curve to allow you to draw the curved lines.

Somewhere in the plans I imagine it tells you how wide each frame member is intended to be. You can use that information, together with the shape of the outside edge of the frame, to draw the inside edge.

I hope this helps at least a bit, and glad to clarify further anything I've written above.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Build of Ken Bassett's Rascal currently on hiatus

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I though all the plans came with "blue" prints. There should be 1/2 drawings of each frame and drawings of other pieces like knees and breast hook etc (full size). If you didn't get that, I'd reach out to Gale.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

PJ2

Post by PJ2 »

Thank you for the reply! I will start drawing it out that way.
PJ

PJ2

Post by PJ2 »

DrBryan. From my research on the plans and the forums here the half drawings are typically how the other model frame blue prints are. With the ski king it just has the smaller schematic drawings.

WithDrew

Post by WithDrew »

PJ2, I just started building the Ski King myself. Got the plans in July and have been studying and planning since. The Ski King does not come with the full size patterns - just the frame layouts on sheet 4 of the plans. After doing some studying (and finally getting a copy of the building boats with plywood book) lofting is really the best way to do the frames. Its been described to you pretty well already in this post, and once you get your copy of the book it will all become clear. Please keep posting and include pictures. I will be doing the same and am really stoked that someone else is doing the Ski King. What are your plans for the engine? I'm putting an old Ford Flathead V8-60 in mine.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”