Hello from Sydney Aus!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Kyle T

Hello from Sydney Aus!

Post by Kyle T »

Good evening from down under!

My name is Kyle.

Just finished business school whilst working in Real estate full time and I find myself longing with desire to create something real, physical, that I can look at and be immensely proud of. From what I have read over the last month from many of your builds including Joshua Burks' YouTube journey, my innate love for natural art and craftsmanship... It seems building a wooden boat would fit the bill perfectly.

I couldn't think of anything better than cruising with a group of friends or family up a river, lake or even the coast with land in sight and the sun high in something you created with your own two hands and imagination.

Having seen many builds I adore the lines of the ZIP as well as the tumblehome of the barrelback and unique design of the Torpedo (thank you Roberta). I have never been boating in the sense but I do like the idea of a comfortable and versatile yet elegant and stylish build with sweeping lines... (Imagining an Aston Martin on water). Hence, with build space of around 20' x 10' and a projected budget of A$15k I was thinking of potentially Cruisette/Nimrod however...

I happened to stumble across Gary's vision of the outboard Super-Overnighter and fell in love (does remind me of a mini Riva). It's everything aesthetically I have dreamed of, my concern is in its functionality.
Screenshot_2020-09-28-12-10-22-20.png
Specifically, how much chop and swell could you comfortably handle with this style of boat? Would it be enough to go out of protected waters albeit very close to land? (it would be a day cruiser, no overnights despite the name). Should I be looking at different boat or am I asking too much of such a smaller boat? (probably wouldn't extend this beyond 16.5' to 17')

I understand I need a decent dead rise angle at the transom and a nice V at the front to cushion the ride and cut through potential swell. Did study physics so I low-key love the technical deep dives (pun intended) with all things maths/engineering/architecture.

All feedback is welcome, this is new to me and as such I really want to thank you, the GlenL community. For a newcomer you're without a doubt invaluable and a brilliant group of people. I'd be honoured to pursue a build and live up to your legacies.

Regards,
Kyle
Kyle

Roberta

Re: Hello from Sydney Aus!

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard, Kyle. What ever you choose to build will be a valuable learning experience, lots of enjoyment, leaving you with a great sense of pride. Ask away and do post pictures of your journey. There are many builders down under and all on the forum are here to help wherever we can.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Welcome Kyle

The general rule is that a boat should not be out in waves bigger than its beam. Very good boaters sometimes do more. :shock:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I would think that would be a "protected water" boat. Choose calm days and you'll be fine. I'm sure it would get you home in the chop but maybe not real comfortably.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Kyle T

Post by Kyle T »

hoodman wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:53 am
I would think that would be a "protected water" boat. Choose calm days and you'll be fine. I'm sure it would get you home in the chop but maybe not real comfortably.
Hi Matt, I have seen your Geronimo build thread (very nice indeed). Is the Geronimo/Sea Knight hull all that different from the overnighter hull and otherwise better suited to unprotected conditions? Drawing inference the 'Sea' Knight is sea capable. Just wasn't a big of fan of the aesthetics.

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I would consider the Geronimo/Sea knight a lake, river, or bay boat. But then again I have zero experience in a small boat in the actual open ocean.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett »

Planing hulls ride on the surface and feel every bump. They don't cut through the waves very well.

Taking my Zip into chop of 24-36" on an Oklahoma lake was courting death! I liken the experience to rock-crawling in a Corvette!

I would be extremely apprehensive to put such a small, flat-bottomed craft into anything other than protected waters in good weather.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”