New to forum

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BobinNM

New to forum

Post by BobinNM »

Hello. I'm in Los Alamos New Mexico, in the high desert 7000 ft above sea level. There are some lovely lakes not far away, although right now they are extremely low. I already have a 1954 14 ft Penn Yan Swift with a 1960 45 hp Mercury Merc 400 outboard. It's all wood, build like a canoe, and is canvas covered. However, my local lake, Abiquiu Lake, is 40 ft below normal, so I can't launch it.

As a result, I am planning to build a 10 ft long by 33 inch wide rowboat, out of mainly 1/4" exterior plywood, to put on the several no-wake lakes nearby. The challenge is that the boat must be split into three pieces to fit under the bed in my camper van. I have looked at many designs but what I've settled on is similar to the New Haven Sharpie. It will have removable wheels, to facilitate launching, that will stay on in the water to serve as skegs.

I will use Elmer's Wood Max glue and strips of dish towels, saturated with the glue, at the joints instead of fiberglass/epoxy, which I hate to work with. The joints will be covered with primer and paint to keep the wood dry. The primer may just be Elmer's glue thinned with water and rolled on. Or it might be Krylon clear spray. Or both. I have tested joint pieces by submerging them overnight in water, and also be putting them in the freezer. They are amazingly strong.

Any comments/suggestions?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”