Long board for fairing

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

admjake

Long board for fairing

Post by admjake »

Hi all
Starting to fair my 20" Barrel Back, but am disappointed with the plastic 30" flexible boards sold primarily by auto body supply companies.
Flexisand , https://flexisander.com/collections/san ... fsb-084112, has an interesting board ,have any members used this tool? and is it worth the price?

Bluesman

Re: Long board for fairing

Post by Bluesman »

Fancy expensive and tons of elbow grease! I used a straight line air sander in an X pattern but you'd need an air compressor big enough to drive it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/professio ... ard+sander

I've also seen guys use a belt sander but be cautious as you can really gouge your work with one of those.
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

TomB

Post by TomB »

I have the one bluesman referenced, takes lots of air. I also have one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/17-inch-a ... -1727.html . I used it as shown. If there is a next boat, I'll take the handle off and put on small handles at the ends so it can flex in the middle. If it works great, if not, I'll spend another $8 to replace it. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

kens

Post by kens »

you can make yourself a longboard from any scrap wood, use thin ply if you want it more flexible. make it any size that you want.
I don't like the so-called air files. they make a better door stop than a sanding tool.
Notice in this pic I am using a long board, and, in the background is a useless air file,,,, does that indicate anything?
BTW, that was a Hutchins, the premier air tool company.
https://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboard9/pic503e3.jpg

Also, I did go to the floors sanding supplier and bought a couple floor sander belts, like 16 grit, and sliced them up to fit on the manual long board.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Post by kens »

shit can the air file and get a mud hog:
https://www.amazon.com/National-Detroit ... B000IHSN4U
or a clone:
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-3008-8-Inc ... B00061SFP0

this is the real deal for heavy stock removal,
use this in conjunction with a long board and you will be much happier.
The mud hog is possible to remove too much material, so be careful.
The mud hog can also use fine grit and get a finesse

I used a combination of flooring coarse paper on it, wet sand 80grit, and the finer grits too
Take the mud hog and wet sand with 320, its a hoot !!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I made my own from 1/4 ply. It was long enough to fit two sheets of sandpaper side by side. I got three pieces per sheet (6 per 2 sheets) giving me three uses per two sheets. Stuck paper to board with temp spray adhesive. When used up peel off and stick next to pieces. Can't send a pic because it got lost in my move this summer.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

kens

Post by kens »

yes,
i have also been creative on sanding boards, and grit selections.
The 8" DA mentioned above can be had with either velcro pads, or stikit pads.
I like the stikit pads, you can use adhesive as you mentioned and use grits not otherwise offered.
I've used wet sanding 80grit, and other times 1200grit on the big mud hog.
With velcro pads you are stuck with whatever grit is offered for sale

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I use a long air file and dual action sander to get surfaces fair and flat. It takes a big compressor to run them, mine is a 220 volt 60 gallon. It runs a lot with either of those sanders.

kens

Post by kens »

yes, I believe sanding is the biggest air user. especially a air file.
I don't think anything uses as much air for such little stock removal as the air file.
The mud hog uses a lot of air also, but, it removes a lot of material, and, it has a throttle on the trigger you can slow it down.

You can use both hand long board plus mud hog, and move a lot of material.
The long board you keep yourself in check per accurate blocking, and remove bulk material with mud hog.
Once you are verified blocked out, you can maintain blocking with mud hog as you progress the finer grits.

Mud hog is one of those tools you are afraid of if you never used one. Then after you try one you say "why didn't I do this long time ago?'
I had a air file, sold it on ebay,,,,good bye and good riddance.
My mud hog is a cherished tool.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”