Hello All

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

booj

Hello All

Post by booj »

Hi everyone.
I just received the plans I purchased for the Celerity, and am eager and a little trepidacious to start building out of this little garage.

Getting ready with the unglamorous work--cleaning, clearing a space, making a budget, and buying lumber. If anyone knows a good lumberyard in the Chicago area, I'm appreciative of the advice.

All the best,
Brad

Roberta

Re: Hello All

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard. Can't help you with wood, but, plenty of help and inspiration on the forum. Ask away and post pictures.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Welcome! I believe this hull is plywood and Menards stocks or can order for you marine grade sheets. For the mahogany, DF or spruce then Owl Hard Woods in Oak Lawn, Lombard or Des Plaines is your best bet, also try Rayner & Rinn-Scott.
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Yeah, you can get something that's labeled "marine plywood" at Menards. And if that's all you can find I'm sure it will be fine. However, I would encourage you to try to find something better for your hull. Try to find some Okoume or Meranti marine ply. It is worth the extra money.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Owl Hardwoods has some Meranti but I think they have limited sizes.
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Welcome, it may be worth a trip to Indiana to LLJohnson. They have a full selection of marine plywood and other boat building woods.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

laubenthal

Post by laubenthal »

welcome,
Also note, meranti plywood may not be listed as that but by a manufacturer name like Hydrotek, that is what I am using on my build.
I second LL Johnson if you are not to far away, they do deliver for a reasonable cost.
Jim

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”