Hello from Adelaide, Australia!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BootsMann

Hello from Adelaide, Australia!

Post by BootsMann »

Hi Guys!

I've been building a ski boat since 2017 and what a learning curve!!

I'm building using cold moulded ply over solid timber frame, and the 12mm transom, 12mm bottom and first layer of 4mm sides are on.

Hopefully by the end of this year she'll be fibreglassed and up the right way.

Have a good one people :D
BootsMann

Building a 5.0m (16 Ft.) SK Ski boat :D

"It is amazing, the number of unflattering positions one must assume to build a boat"

Roberta

Re: Hello from Adelaide, Australia!

Post by Roberta »

Welcome aboard! Post pictures and ask away.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BootsMann

Post by BootsMann »

Hello again!

So this is the hull as it is in my shed at the moment - the first layer of diagonal ply is on the sides, and at the moment I'm working on fairing everything for the second layer. Seeing as the side and bottom planking are meant to butt up at the bow, I've added the vertical strips to become a kind of wedge between the two layers, bringing the thickness of the sides at the front of the chine to 12mm. The plans called for the 12mm bottom to be set in at the front, but I couldn't see a way of faring that so... here we are. In retrospect I think it would've been easier to add this 4mm to the stringers and chine under the 1st layer on the sides, as like a shim on the frame. Thoughts? Anyone else had to do this?
unplaned mid layer.JPG
There's a few things I'm currently grappling with internally.
One is where and how to bore the shaft hole. Would around now be the time to purchase a skeg, shaft and Forstner bit? And wouldn't I need to know exactly where I'm going to put the rudder to be able to position the prop to position the skeg to drill the shaft hole...? Plans are quite vague in that respect. Any advice here would be absolutely marvellous :D

In other news, I'd like to book match veneer my transom, and am wondering if anybody has experience in vacuum bagging big flat things onto a vertical surface. :?

Thirdly, I'm thinking about adding planing strakes at the chines - I'm hoping it will increase lift, improve handling, and reduce spray on the passengers as well as protect the end grain of the side planking. What size would be reasonable for these?

I've got a looooot of questions about marinising engines too, but I'll chew through a few more forum posts on that before I ask too much here.
IMG_4885.JPG
SK drawing.jpg
But yeah! This is my boat - what it looks like, and what I hope it will look like.
Any input towards anything will be thoroughly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bootsmann

PS. who, how and what is going on with my attached images?
Last edited by BootsMann on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BootsMann

"It is amazing, the number of unflattering positions one must assume to build a boat"

Biss

Post by Biss »

Welcome! Nice boat you got going there.

So, I got the opportunity to visit Adelaide back in 2008. Was working on a defense related project up at Port Wakefield. We were there in August and it was mighty cold! Stayed in Adelaide for a week and then stayed in Auburn for another week (fine little motel right when you come into town! Had a few beers with the locals at the "Rising Sun Hotel" too). We were working nights so we spent the days touring wineries and seeing the sites. Great trip, and good people there! Quite patient with us foreigners learning to drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

Are you designing the boat yourself or are you working from purchased plans? Best of Luck!

Keith

BootsMann

Post by BootsMann »

Hi Keith

Yeah Adelaide gets cold in winter... especially if you live in a house that was built in the 60's back when insulation was just a myth. The people are certainly lovely though, and the country around here is gorgeous.

I'm building off plans I bought from a mob called Build-a-boat, they're like a less successful Australian Glen-L. It's a plan Called SK-SKI, which I think is based off the Stevens SK hulls. I stuck a picture of them in my last post :wink:

The fairing for the first quarter of the boat is now done, ready for me to start fitting the last layer of ply. I'll soon get to add wood to my boat! Yay!

Here's me checking how well I did with a (very oversized) piece of 4mm
If the ply is happy, so am I.
If the ply is happy, so am I.

Have a good one,
Bootsmann

Ps. Just because you drive on the right side doesn't mean we drive on the wrong side!! We drive on the left thank you very much. :wink:
BootsMann

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Welcome, nice progress so far.

I vacuum bagged the veneer on my Squirt, it is not a difficult process you just need some planning and a good pump. My veneer was very thin, but other builders have vacuum bagged thicker planking, so it can be done. Be careful of the oil filled vacuum pumps. They tend to put out an oil vapor in the air which can mess up later stages of the finishing. Either have a good filer on the exhaust, or vent it outside your shop to make sure you are not oil coating your boat. I used plastic sheet from the hardware store (drop cloth plastic) and rope caulk for windows and packing tape to seal it to the boat. Regular paper towel is used as "breather cloth" to help distribute the vacuum over the surface. Once you pull the vacuum, keep plugging any leaks until the vacuum pump starts to cycle off/on and let it sit over night. Check out my build thread for more details (Michigan Squirt Build).
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”