Desperado Build "Cranky"

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Tecona19

Desperado Build "Cranky"

Post by Tecona19 »

IMG_6302.jpg
IMG_6303.jpg
Hello everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller. My wife Alyssa and I (Reese) are building a Desperado in the west suburbs of Chicago. The gallery is finally up and we are underway. This will be the outboard version of the build. We are gluing frames and as many long parts as possible, tight space in the garage. I was fortunate to grow up in a home that projected and built all sorts of stuff. My father builds custom furniture so many of my techniques come from that background. I will have tons of questions and I appreciate everyone's input.

So far, biggest mistake, I never verified my plywood was marine grade. I made an assumption and meant to double check. Never did and ouch... there goes a few days work. We we ripped of the plywood, bought verified hydrotek and we are back on track; all good. If that is the worst thing that happens I think we are in good shape.

We are currently in the "glue bonanza" phase. Frames, stem, breasthook, transom lamination, and so many scarf joints.

First of many questions; The plans call for a 2x6 beam to be bolted across the transom lamination (2, 3/4" sheets) and the frame but the instructions do not mention how many, where, or through which layers to place the bolts. I purchased 4 bolts, two for the ends and two for the middle near the motor well uprights. Should these bolts go through one layer of 3/4, both layers (exposed out the back of the transom), or both layers and covered by another layer of 1/4 for look? I have Mahogany veneer I am considering vacuum bagging for decking and transom.

Thanks for your responses!

Bluesman

Re: Desperado Build "Cranky"

Post by Bluesman »

Welcome!

I'm looking at other builder photos and I can't or don't see where they bolted through the transom, it might be that the bolts are hidden behind the veneer (countersunk and filled into the transom plywood?).

Unfortunately there will be many details like this that you will have to work out for yourself.
Tahoe 21' - under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Tecona19

Post by Tecona19 »

Thanks,

Ya, I figured that some things are open to interpretation. I scoured the other pictures as well but could not come up with an answer. I think I will bolt through both layers and if I have enough 1/4 left over make an outer layer for the transom. If not I may fill in and veneer over.

Tecona19

Post by Tecona19 »

We have finished gluing the plywood lamination both motor stringers and I have cleaned up (flush cut) the edging and squeeze out on one. The stem, breasthook and all of the frames are glued and being prepped for encapsulation. I have wanted to do this for so long and it is really exciting to see the parts come together.
Attachments
IMG_6336.jpg
IMG_6328.jpg
IMG_6318.jpg

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

You'll be able to sit in it and make motor noises soon.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Tecona19

Post by Tecona19 »

As a millennial, I am clearly "above" sitting in it and making motor noises myself. I was gonna sit in it and play youtubes of the motor noises! :wink:

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

:D

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Tecona19

Post by Tecona19 »

I put together a jig that I can clamp to the frames to help me cut nice flat bottoms for the battens and keel. Haven't used it yet so hopefully it works as planned. Then we put back to back coats of epoxy on the frames and motor stringers.
Attachments
IMG_6368.jpg
IMG_6367.jpg
IMG_6344.jpg

Tecona19

Post by Tecona19 »

While the frames and stringers dry I have been working on the transom. Flushed up the edges on the inner ply then used a 14 degree router for give me a head start on the bottom of the transom.
Attachments
IMG_6378.jpg
IMG_6377.jpg
IMG_6371.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I made a similar jig when I cut for my battens. It worked nicely. So should yours.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”