New from AZ

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

boatonthebrain

New from AZ

Post by boatonthebrain »

This is my first post, I've wanted my own Glen L. boat for some time now. When I was a kid my Dad ordered plans for a Glen L. Monte Carlo, unfortunately they were rip offs, nothing more than pictures of the completed boat that still hang in his garage to this day. He told me stories about how he and my grandfather (the engineer/Korean War B-29 pilot) had built several sailboats my grandfather designed himself. He had fond memories of taking them sailing and fishing but admitted the build process was similar to that of Paul Sr. and Jr from the OCC tv show. So instead he bought a cool vintage ski boat that my brother now owns.

I have browsed this forum a lot, I felt overwhelmed, at the build times, at the cost, at the fabrications skills needed. Sure there were reported boats built for $623.15 in the Philippines up to $11,500 with motor and trailer. Seeing as the new Zip Kit includes all of the wood cnc precision cut with included instructions for $3,950 (including shipping). What else is needed to finish the boat? Not including the trailer/motor/steering/gauges/gas tank/paint/flooring/windshield which I plan to source mostly used. The site says "Order the Glen-L Zip Fastening Kit, Carriage Bolt Kit, Poxy-Grip Half Gallon adhesive and the Fiberglass Kit for all the materials you'll need to put the ZipKit together." With a build time of 400 hrs. I'm having trouble navigating the Glen L. website/finding pricing on the Zip specific Fastening Kit, Carriage Bolt kit, fiberglass kit? Currently $120-$170 for 1 gallon of epoxy.

The wood in the kit comes with African Mahogany and Aquatek Meranti Marine grade plywood. I plan on painting the boat two tone white/blue with a stained wood deck/interior. Are there any pics of the kit deck stained? From the provided pictures the customer kits all look to have been laminated at an extra expense compared to the original kit boat with a single light stain.

I would like to build it as nicely and economically as possible. If I paint the sides of the boat and forego laminating, can I just paint white lines on the deck and stain accordingly? Or does the kit come with a laminated deck?

Any help finding the total build price including The $3,950 for wood/plans, $120 for 1 gallon of epoxy, Zip Fastening kit? Zip Carriage Bolt Kit? Fiberglass Kit? would be very much appreciated.

As well as anything else needed? Minus motor/trailer

Roberta

Re: New from AZ

Post by Roberta »

In addition to the basic hull kit you will need seating, steering, motor controls, windshield, deck hardware, interior sealer and paint, electrical wiring, lighting, additional adhesives and fasteners for added structures. Continue to study other builds, including the kit build, to determine what level of detail you wish to achieve. Prices are determined by your own choices.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I think the deck panels come with one side smooth and the other side groove. You pick the side you want to show.

Good luck,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

boatonthebrain

Post by boatonthebrain »

Thanks for the replies

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”