Glen L 15

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Greyfox1977

Glen L 15

Post by Greyfox1977 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:32 am

I am just starting construction of the frames. The plans say that frames #1, #4 and #5 frame made in 2 parts joining on the centerboard. I wanted to make sure that the bottom piece is actually fabricated in Two halves joined together on the centerline versus one solid piece. I’m not seeing why frame 1 and 4 couldn’t be a solid piece; making the one bottom piece and 2 side uprights. An explanation would be helpful.

DrBryanJ

Re: Glen L 15

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:57 am

How much deadrise does the Glen-L 15 have at those frames. If it is considerable, the board required to get the bottom piece would be much wider. Also, by making it in two pieces, the grain would run along the length. If made in one piece, the grain would run diagonally, potentially make the piece weaker. Is it enough to worry about? I don't know.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Re: Glen L 15

Post by mrintense » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Bryan's comment about grain direction is correct. The Boatbuilding With Plywood book from Glen L specifically mentions this. The frames should made in two parts so that grain direction runs lengthwise on the frame part.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Sailboats”