Glen-L 15 build

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

TomB

Re: Glen-L 15 build

Post by TomB »

Henk,

The inside edge can be used to support the sole.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

HBlom

Post by HBlom »

Made some good progress in the last day or two. Got 5 frame templates finished to my satisfaction. Used a combination of a track saw for the longer straight sections, a hand plane and a disc sander (for which I built a custom table) for shorter straight sections.

Also made some frame lumber decisions - going with quarter sawn white oak for the frames with mahogany plywood gussets. Finish both bright - should make for some nice contrast.
Attachments
Fine tuning by hand
Fine tuning by hand
Custom built disc sanding table
Custom built disc sanding table
5 done, quite a few to go!
5 done, quite a few to go!
Henk Blom
Mundelein, IL

HBlom

Post by HBlom »

Progress update: I am down to touching up the last two templates for the frames on the Glen-L 15. They have turned out quite nicely, I think, but obviously the proof of that will come down the road a bit.

I am preparing for the next step, which will be to lay the templates out on 5/4 or 4/4 quarter sawn white oak boards, and was starting to think about how to line up the templates with the grain. What should I be looking out for? How critical is this? A couple of the deck beams are curved, and I'd love to find some boards that have a bit of that curve to them as far as the grain is concerned. But not sure how much time I should spend on looking for boards with that bend to them. I am pretty sure I don't need to get as particular as Acorn to Arabella or Tally-Ho, but I don't know for sure either. Open to input and feedback.

Cheers.
Henk Blom
Mundelein, IL

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

If you are using white oak, the grain should be pretty straight. No need to over think it, just align the grain with the long axis of the parts and cut.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

HBlom

Post by HBlom »

Well, progress continues. Finished all the templates a week or 2 ago, and have been laying out the templates on the quarter sawn white oak. Spent a good part of today rough cutting them on the bandsaw, and them flush trimming them to the template on the router table. Works very well. Got the oak for frames 1 and 2 done now. They are coming out about 1/4" smaller than what I laid out on the plywood, which I think is mostly due to the the templates being finished to the inside of the black lines on the plans. I can't imagine that will make a huge difference on the final product.
2020-10-10 - Frame 2 oak members.jpg
2020-10-09 - Frame 1 oak members.jpg
I have more pieces rough cut, so more to come in the next couple of weeks. I will probably have to take a break for the winter, since epoxy does not do well in Chicago winters, and my garage is only heated with a kerosene heater when I am in it!
Henk Blom
Mundelein, IL

Return to “Sailboats”