Minuet and Glen L 17

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Porky

Minuet and Glen L 17

Post by Porky »

I've wanted to build for years. I'm finally financially able to do so. I've looked at Welsford, Selway Fisher, Devlin and Dix designs. I reckon I'm paranoid of getting a design that's not perfectly drawn out & would require me to make adjustments to the designs or a design that might be somewhat open to interpretation. As well, I really want a small cabin. If I were to build a Glen-L design, I'd go with the Minuet 15 or the Glen L 17. Anyone care to comment on these above models. I've looked on the site and cannot find info on the building techniques for either of these models. Additional thoughts welcome. Thanks for the help.

DrBryanJ

Re: Minuet and Glen L 17

Post by DrBryanJ »

Porky, I am not familiar with the sailboat designs and can not speak for performance or sailing characteristics, but I looked in the boatbuilding galleries to find construction pictures. It looks like both designs are built with frames on a building form, then covered with plywood. With the detailed plans from Glen-L it is very doable.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Mike Worrall

Re: Minuet and Glen L 17

Post by Mike Worrall »

Porky - Suggest two things: Purchase the (inexpensive) Study Plans for one or both of these designs. This should give you extensive insight into the building process. Also get a copy of the (Glen-L) publication Boat Building with Plywood which (assuming this is your first build) will be an invaluable resource.

MW

Return to “Sailboats”