Battery Charger?

Wiring your boat, How to Wire Lights/Accessories, All things electrical other than actually powering your boat by electric motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

upspirate

Re: Battery Charger?

Post by upspirate »

Ya know Chip...if the C-Tec does what you want,it's only $50-60 more,and these things last for a long time.

Over a bunch of years,a more expensive tool that does the job is much better than a cheaper one that you aren't happy with.

Plus you will have the cost of the good one,and the added cost of the cheap one that pissed you off!!!

Been there, done that!!! :oops: :roll: :wink:

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Good point. Still using the sad face on the Admiral, but it doesn't seem to be working. :( I guess you only can get so far on charm and good looks. :lol: I don't want this to be a Father's Day gift because I already have something else picked out for that. :)
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Just man up and buy the darn thing!!!
(after you get the father's day gift) :wink:

That's one thing Debbie is good about....she didn't flinch when I told her I decided to buy a $200 sander nor a table saw.

In fact,when we met she asked me if I was intimidated by a woman that has her own tools and knows how to use them!!

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

Here are the specs on the Schumacher.

• 15 Amp Fast Charge – charger monitors battery condition and adjusts charge rate to prevent battery damage; for car, truck, marine, RV, farm equipment, AGM, gel cell and deep-cycle batteries. • 10 Amp Fast Charge – self-adjusting charge rate for everyday charging needs and keeping your battery in peak condition. • 2 Amp Slow Charge – for charging and maintaining small batteries; charges motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and lawn tractor batteries. • 75 Amp Clamps – for top and side-mounted battery posts. • Electronic Push Button Controls – easy-to-feel switches for selection of Display Mode, Charge Rate or Battery Type. Choose from regular automotive (low maintenance or maintenance-free), deep-cycle, AGM or gel cell batteries. • Retractable Handle – for easy portability and storage.

It automatically changes to trickle after fully charge...I like that! Set it and forget it.

Here's a link with more details if you want them.

http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductD ... 4026807ACP
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Thanks Bill

I wish my big charger had all those features. It is manual control and the timer doesn't work anymore. :(
Last edited by Grand Chillin on Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

In fact,when we met she asked me if I was intimidated by a woman that has her own tools and knows how to use them!!

Uhhhmmmmmm....let's see, what can I say that's actually appropriate? How about congrats? Is that okay?

Sorry Warren...you just left the screen door wide open on that one.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

ttownshaw wrote:

Uhhhmmmmmm....let's see, what can I say that's actually appropriate? How about congrats? Is that okay?

Sorry Warren...you just left the screen door wide open on that one.

OOPS!!! :lol: :roll: :shock:

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

upspirate wrote:Just man up and buy the darn thing!!!
Pirate,
I did as you suggested. I pulled my boots on, tightened my belt and ordered the darn thing. :D Everthing was fine until I got home this afternoon. That is when I sailed into a strom the likes the world has never seen. :shock: I forgot she checks the statement online. :( During severe interrogations I was asked who gave me the silly notion to order the darn thing. I held out as long as I could. The last thing I remember was the Admiral ordering the Shore Patrol to go and pick you up. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Grand Chillin wrote:
Pirate,
I did as you suggested. I pulled my boots on, tightened my belt and ordered the darn thing. :D Everthing was fine until I got home this afternoon. That is when I sailed into a strom the likes the world has never seen. :shock: I forgot she checks the statement online. :( During severe interrogations I was asked who gave me the silly notion to order the darn thing. I held out as long as I could. The last thing I remember was the Admiral ordering the Shore Patrol to go and pick you up. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just remember, the pain only lasts a few days, but you have a nice new charger for many years to come, and when the car has a flat battery (or better still, the Father in Laws car has a flatt battery) you just remind them that luckily you had the foresight to order the right tool for the job. Just think what it would cost to call out a mechanic to get you started!!!! :twisted:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Track,
I'll be fine in a few months. It's Pirate I'm worried about. :( :wink: :lol:

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Grand Chillin wrote:Track,
I'll be fine in a few months. It's Pirate I'm worried about. :( :wink: :lol:
I think it was Elmer Fudd that said "Be Afwaid.... Be VEWY afwaid".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Grand Chillin wrote:
Pirate,

Glad you told me this before this weeks plans were firmed up....
I think I'll wait a year before I come visit you guys!!! :wink:

I thanked Debbie and Ashley yesterday for my Father's Day present that I bought!!! :wink: :D

Valinnsi

Post by Valinnsi »

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I have done quite a bit of research on this, so I want to share my experience.
I too have multiple different batteries. The reality is that one charger will not be enough for your needs.

+1 on the Rizk charger https://wheelstips.com/best-car-battery-charger I bought one a few years ago and love it, very well built. I bought this one:

It's manual but with a 60 amp starter setting. I was tired of my battery booster always being dead when I need to boost a battery in winter, so now I use this charger. If a discharged battery's voltage is very low, most automatic chargers will activate a protection circuit and shut off which doesn't happen with a manual charger. So for a really discharged battery you need a manual charger with a big power supply. This Rizk model's instructions state to to switch it to the 60 amp setting for 20 seconds then the 12 volt setting for 20 minutes, and then try and start the vehicle. It works.

I have a few other chargers from an old style automatic to small Battery Minders and Battery Tenders. The small desulfating chargers are attached to my lawn tractor and snowmobile all winter. The Rizk manual charger is used as a booster, or for a deeply discharged battery on the bench, or to charge my Dodge Ram with 2x12V batteries in parallel. It takes a long time to charge two truck batteries so the 20 amp capacity of the Rizk comes in handy, After the amperage draw drops down to less than 5 I replace the manual charger for my old automatic one so I don't overcharge.

I charge batteries almost everyday.

I had smart chargers, ctek last 2 yr, xtreme last 1.5 yr, before going dead.
Century charger is perhaps the worse. It put out 16.5V and shuts itself down, luckily my battery survived.
Now I have samlex america charger, it's one of the better ones and still working today.

However, if your batteries are sulfated due to short-distance driving, these smart/auto chargers won't desulfate it. You need a adjustable DC power supply set at a higher voltage to breakdown the sulfates.

I use cheap gopher/gophert PRC adjustable power supply to do this. It has a volt and amp display, so I can see how long to charge it, by monitoring the current drawn and also using a hydrometer at the same time.

Return to “Electric Power & Systems”