MaideN Montana

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

etswaterride

Re: MaideN Montana

Post by etswaterride »

neel thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:57 am
Nice job Trent..... Now for the fun part
Neel,
I'm am taking your words literally with not so much as one syllable of sarcasm! :D
By the way thanks for being there for me all these years!
Trent

TomB

Post by TomB »

[/quote]

I was planning on either asking the welder to extend the bolts or "cutting" the stem thickness down so I can put a plate, washers and nuts on.
I dont know at this point how much i would need to take off to fit but if i recall it was about a half inch.
How do you feel about that?
I think I know the answer but at the same timeI have a hard time trusting "butt" welds on bolts.

[/quote]

Trent,

Plus one on distrust for butt welded bolts. A half inch mortise more or less filled up with metal sounds ok to me...but it's not my boat. Have you considered coupling nuts with some Loctite?

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

etswaterride

Post by etswaterride »

TomB wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:03 pm
I was planning on either asking the welder to extend the bolts or "cutting" the stem thickness down so I can put a plate, washers and nuts on.
I dont know at this point how much i would need to take off to fit but if i recall it was about a half inch.
How do you feel about that?
I think I know the answer but at the same timeI have a hard time trusting "butt" welds on bolts.

[/quote]

Trent,

Plus one on distrust for butt welded bolts. A half inch mortise more or less filled up with metal sounds ok to me...but it's not my boat. Have you considered coupling nuts with some Loctite?

Tom
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply!

I have and used this in other applications and it worked well.
I may go that route depending on the fit I get and depth of mortise needed.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”