QUESTION ABOUT SCARFING JOINT IN MOTOR STRINGERS

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Shawn K

QUESTION ABOUT SCARFING JOINT IN MOTOR STRINGERS

Post by Shawn K »

Today I picked up the mahogany I needed to start building my frames, I was able to find a place local to me that actually had African Mahogany but a limited amount, and sizes. I was also trying to resolve the issue of finding the wood for my motor stringers. I seem to be having problems finding 2 x4 mahogany that is in a length I need for the stringers, which is 15'. the longest I have found was 8'. Now I know I can probably scarf joint them but I certainly have concerns about doing this, being the joint would be right in the middle of the stringer and probably at the point with a lot of weight and stress on it. Can anybody chime in and give me some advice and input on this subject and the best resolution for me? I did read in Robertas" tornado build where She used white oak and wrapped it with sapelle,or I could probably do the same with Douglass fir, but id really like to keep it 100% mahogany. THANKS`AND PEACE

TomB

Re: QUESTION ABOUT SCARFING JOINT IN MOTOR STRINGERS

Post by TomB »

Shawn, Use two 1 x's and scarf and laminate. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Roberta

Re: QUESTION ABOUT SCARFING JOINT IN MOTOR STRINGERS

Post by Roberta »

My motor stringers are 5/4 x 6" white oak sandwiched between 6mm Okoume plywood. The white oak part of the stringers is full length and not scarfed and are a full 6". Stringer extensions are added, but they are offset per plans for the forward frames and are 4/4 x 4". The plywood is beveled and butt joined using ring shank nails, screws, and epoxy to laminate the stringers.

The way I made them is extremely strong and stable. I would rather choose another species of wood than scarf stringers. Laminating and offsetting joints would be better.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Wood and Plywood”