2008 Gathering

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Ok folks, I'm back online and doing my moderator duties again. I really want to put my input in here so here goes:

I'm really with Kens and Bill. I think we should really keep the event at the end of October. This was such a big success that it could become a tradition. I don't know when I've ever seen anything come off with fewer hitches and so many folks having so much fun!

Ok, we missed the fall colors but that was only because they got screwed up with this amazing drought we all got down here in the South this summer. That weekend in October has always been the color peak and this was just a weird year. But the place was still darn beautiful. IMHO.

Also, the weather was somewhat nippy but if I had to take a chance on it being nippy compared to taking a chance on it being hot and sweltering, I'll take nippy. But that too was simply the luck of the draw. It could have just as easily been warmer which is often the case in this part of the Alabama/Tennessee area. Next year, Miss Connie and I will pack the right clothes for either possibility.

I personally also would love to see this event stay in Guntersville. We already are familiar with everything now and it has everything we need without us having to look any farther. So if some would like to move to another location or have it earlier in the season for warmer weather, let's simply have another event in addition to the Guntersville event. I would be willing to travel to a different event too. That would only be fair to some of the guys who really came a long way but I have to admit, I've fallen in love with Guntersville. Thank you very much Kens for originally suggesting it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother »

Dave, glad you are back, now you can KEEP JOHN, AND LEAKCHECK in line, MAYBE. :wink: :lol:

I enjoyed reading your post, and I couldn't have said it any better. Sure Sharon and I were NO SHOWS, but couldn't help it with family issues.

We have booked our room, and am going to talk to our son-in-law about coming too. A side note of his coming is that he can keep John and leackcheck in line. :wink: He is a little fellow, 6'-6",300 lbs former offensive guard for the Seattle, and the Colts. :P He is a true boating nut, and grew up around lots of different kinds of boats and would love to be a part of the group. Super guy, for sure.

Thanks Dave for a well written post.

Dale in Indy

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Uni-Cycle :!: I can ride it. :shock:

We're off and running. Lots of talk of the Cabins. But, the campground and lodge are still there. (I just wanted to say that for those just tuning in.)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Bill, carefull cuz I can bring two of em !!!1 :lol:

And remember i have all the available cabins so no one has to worry until it gets closer.

Steve

GregH

Post by GregH »

OKOK... now HOW am I to get any work done coming across heading like "GATHERING 2008"! and 5 pages of it too!

I couldn't make it this year but I am glad there was a Canadian Contigent! Maybe next year we can make it a bigger convoy eh?

I am so ticked I missed out on the first meet but loved seeing all the pics and reports! I am looking at schedules here and seeing how to book off 3-4 days for it next year.

cheers
Greg
I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Bill E

Post by Bill E »

Steve - bring me a unicycle, too! (Maybe this is a Bill E---son thing?!?) I used to ride one back in the day, too. In fact, my cousin Rick Eason used to ride his all over the U. Tenn. campus when he was there. If you know that campus and its hills, you know that's no easy feat! I think there's still my old seatless (aka broken) unicycle in my mom's basement somewhere, unless we finally tossed it. Hhhmmmm......
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:shock: Sorry! I'm not riding any cycle without a seat. It would be too much like being at work! :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

These all have real comfy seats !! I see another competition coming for the Gathering ...oh man..this is gonna be good !

Steve

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel »

October is best for me too. Sign me up for a bed in one of those cabins if one of 'em isn't full. Sign me up for chores/food too, I just kinda showed up this year. I can't compete with the chicken truck though.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Bob, You are going to bring the boat right ??

Steve

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel »

Yup, hopefully make another run on the river afterwards too...

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

I've booked a "Just in Case" Cabin.

It's too early for me to make a firm commitment, but if I don't end up using it, and they're all booked, I can pass it to the "Glen-L Wait List".

There is still plenty of availability.

B.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Bruce,

There shouldnt be any cabins left. I think I took the last 12 or 15...hmmmm..maybe I should check..unless you told them you were with Glen-L and they gave you one of mine.

Steve

I think I will throw an outboard on the tug so I can make the run to chattanooga too

Steve

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

leakcheck wrote:Bruce,

There shouldnt be any cabins left. I think I took the last 12 or 15...hmmmm..maybe I should check..unless you told them you were with Glen-L and they gave you one of mine.

Steve

I think I will throw an outboard on the tug so I can make the run to chattanooga too

Steve
I've got a Tohatsu 18 you can use!!! :shock:

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

leakcheck wrote:Bruce,

Yes... I did mention I was with Glen-L, so I probably got one that you had already set aside for us. Sorry if I caused confusion.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Return to “Gathering 2008”