Multiple laminates over fillets

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

ferraraj

Multiple laminates over fillets

Post by ferraraj »

I'm building the 11' Bull's Eye. In some areas the plans call for 2 lams of 4' wide cloth. I know each layer should not coincide with the other. My question is would it be best to lay the 2nd layer about an inch or so over the first layer vertically or lay the 2nd layer horizontally over the first by an inch? Or maybe it doesn't make a difference?

Would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,

Joe

jprice

Re: Multiple laminates over fillets

Post by jprice »

Not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by "each layer should not coincide with the other" ?
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to just put the second layer right on top of the first.

ferraraj

Post by ferraraj »

The instructions actually use the word coincide. Pretty sure they are saying to stagger the 2nd layer so it's not directly over the 1st. I'm not sure whether it makes a difference to stagger horizontally or vertically. I'm not sure but the reason why they say not to place alms directly over another is to minimize sanding and make tape blend to wood better.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Are you talking about fiberglass strips that go over the seams between panels? Maybe off set the first piece to one side of the seam so the overlap over each side of the seam is not equal. Then offset the second piece to the opposite side. So the seam has two layers but off to the sides of the seams is only one layer deep. If you follow that.

The stitch and glue boat I built only called for one layer so Im just guessing at a method that seems effective and easy to blend the edges without a big ridge to sand. Id put both layers down at the same time to avoid a ridge where they do overlap.

ferraraj

Post by ferraraj »

Yes, I am. Think I'm going to follow your suggestion. It will place 2 lams of cloth over the seam yet have just a single layer to sand and blend to the wood.

Appreciate it. Thanks, Joe

Return to “Epoxy”