Epoxy on Masking Tape

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

BlueRidgeBoater

Epoxy on Masking Tape

Post by BlueRidgeBoater »

I have painted the inside and outside of the hull, and am now epoxying the sheers. If I mask the hull with painters tape so I don't get epoxy on the hull, do I have to pull it up right away so the insides of the tape don't get stuck to the hull, or will I be okay if I leave it down so I can do several coats of epoxy without having to retape every time?
Last edited by BlueRidgeBoater on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger9

Re: Epoxy on Masking Tape

Post by Roger9 »

If you leave epoxy to dry on the masking tape, it may harden to the hull similar to a brittle piece of fiberglass. Definitely remove the tape before the epoxy dries. Best of luck.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

Ditto, unless you want a blue accent stripe!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

I do would use blue painters tape. If you want a tape that when installed correctly will not let anything under it then use 3M fine line tape. comes in different widths, it also will stretch and follow any curve. Buy at automotive paint stores
Jeff

BlueRidgeBoater

Post by BlueRidgeBoater »

Thanks all. That's kind of what I figured I would hear, but thought it worth asking.

Return to “Epoxy”