epoxy coat looks milky - advice?

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

bobinpowayca

epoxy coat looks milky - advice?

Post by bobinpowayca » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:37 am

Hi, I'm building Geronimo - I just finished fiberglassing the deck - okoume, 2 coats of silver tip epoxy resin, glass, then 2 or 3 fill coats of resin. I'm building it outside under a canopy, usually cover it also. Up to now all of the resin coats have been fine - dried hard and glossy. I put on the final coat of resin yesterday - next I will prime it with 2-part epoxy primekote.
Here-s the problem. I rolled on the last resin coat early yesterday afternoon. By evening the resin looked great - shiny, but still a little tacky so I left the cover off (still under the canopy though). Well, this morning the resin has turned milky white - kind of chalky, you can scratch it with your fingernail but it still real milky looking. Overnight it got down to the upper 40's and this morning there was a nice coating of dew all over the resin.
Do you think the resin is basically okay? Silver tip is non blushing. Thinking I should wait a few days then sand it prior to the epoxy primer. Any thoughts? It has dried hard but is pretty white. Thanks for any advice. Bob
Bob

Bill Edmundson

Re: epoxy coat looks milky - advice?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Bob

It's definitely the moisture. Let it sit in the sun if you can. Try hitting an area with a blow drier and see if it clears or at least hardens. I'm pretty sure it will harden.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

bobinpowayca

Re: epoxy coat looks milky - advice?

Post by bobinpowayca » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks Bill. I sanded it all down last evening with 80 grit paper on my rubber block, the white coat's thinner - you can still easily scratch the white with your fingernail, so today I sanded it again with 80 grit, then went over it with 120 grit on my orbital - still whitish but harder to scratch. I think that'll do it. Now to cover it up real good before the storm hits tonight. :D Bob
Bob