New to this - Which epoxy and how much (Pee Wee)

Problems, how to use. Also see: "EPOXY", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, ttownshaw

PCarpentier

New to this - Which epoxy and how much (Pee Wee)

Post by PCarpentier »

Hello all,
I just received my Pee Wee plans and am starting to source the lumber, hardware, and epoxy. The majority of the posts I've read through refer to using Poxy-Grip (adhesive) and Poxy-Shield (encapsulation) but when I go to the Glen-L store I cannot find those products. It looks like they now carry System Three Epoxy instead. Is this correct or am I just missing the Poxy-Grip and Poxy-Shield?

If System Three is the new epoxy used what exactly do I need to purchase? Is the T-88 the structural adhesive while the General Purpose would be used for encapsulation?

The Pee Wee plans state that 1qt is required for the glue - will that be more than enough or would it be prudent to purchase an extra pint? I'm assuming I might waste more since this is my first build.

Also I've been unable to find any information on the amount of epoxy required for encapsulation (1 gal? 2 gal?). There is also a Glen-L fiberglass kit I can purchase. Would that replace encapsulation completely?

Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

- Phil

Hercdrvr

Re: New to this - Which epoxy and how much (Pee Wee)

Post by Hercdrvr »

T-88 sounds like a similar product to Poxy Grip, good for structural adhesion. Easy to use, Goop it on like peanut butter. For encapsulating and fiberglassing I prefer Silver Tip epoxy, spreads easy, long working time, and a pleasant odor.
I wouldn’t worry about buying too much epoxy, you’ll probably build another boat after the PeeWee anyway.
Matt B

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Gel magic is my preferred product to replace poxi grip. It comes in containers or cartridges. General purpose or silver tip are good for coating, laminating or fiberglassing.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

PCarpentier

Post by PCarpentier »

Thanks for the information! It seems like the SilverTip Epoxy and Gel Magic are a better product than the general purpose and for the price difference might as well go for it.

You make a good point Matt, I haven't even started the Pee Wee and am already thinking about what the next build would be..

- Phil

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

T-88 is basically the same as poxy-grip. I've used both with similar results.

System 3 Silver Tip is nice because it is "no blush" and can be recoated within 24 hours (double check the time?) without sanding. Good for encapsulating and filling weave in glass cloth.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Epoxy”