covering imperfections

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

dabren

covering imperfections

Post by dabren »

Hello All,
I've filled all screw holes with thickened epoxy and sanded flush but quite a few of them still have small shallow areas that didn't fill, I guess as the epoxy settled. Would these small spaces get filled when fiberglassing? Just don't want to refill with epoxy and resand the hull if it's not necessary...

Oyster

Re: covering imperfections

Post by Oyster »

dabren wrote:Hello All,
I've filled all screw holes with thickened epoxy and sanded flush but quite a few of them still have small shallow areas that didn't fill, I guess as the epoxy settled. Would these small spaces get filled when fiberglassing? Just don't want to refill with epoxy and resand the hull if it's not necessary...

Resin does shrink a bit. Always leave the filler a bit higher and you can go back with a hook scraper and cut it down flush when cured but not aged cured. Then sand it normally.
You can go back with some thickened epoxy and then lay your glass right over the wet but tacky glue putty. Make sure that you just use a small amount and compress it flat across the pinholes or dints with a small squeeze. You do have to be carefull with applying dry glass onto the wet spots. Roll your glass up on a larger sized pvc pipe or a cardboard tube if your glass came with it inside. Dry fit your glass first and them mark your corners or mark locator points along the hull so that you know where to apply you glass back to. Then get someone to hold and work the glass into a thinned wetout layer of resin, working from the center of the glass out to the edges as you roll the glass back on using the marked points as a locator. I use fine point sharpies and there is not issues with it. Of course if you are glassing and leaving your hull clear this procedure will not work for you.

dabren

Re: covering imperfections

Post by dabren »

Thanks Oyster. I'll fill the holes again to make sure the dips are out. It will be the first time I've ever worked with fiberglass though so I think I'll let them cure first, I'm a little worried about the process as is!

Appreciate your feedback..

Dan

Return to “Fiberglass”